The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] file_put_contents(): Only 0 of 13129 bytes written, possibly out of free disk space - Line: 7037 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
[PHP] errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions.php 7037 file_put_contents
/inc/init.php 187 rebuild_settings
/global.php 20 require_once
/printthread.php 16 require_once

SA Classic Mini Forum
Minimad Vanden Plas - Printable Version

+- SA Classic Mini Forum (https://samini.co.za)
+-- Forum: You and Your Mini (https://samini.co.za/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Your Classic Minis Story (https://samini.co.za/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Minimad Vanden Plas (/showthread.php?tid=322)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Minimad Vanden Plas - Minimad - 07-11-2016

The finished product was as I planned .... very happy with the colour and the tones of pearl.

Car was the taken to my friend workshop late on a Friday afternoon so that I could use is 2 post hoist to remove the subframe and get the under carriage painted. and Install the refurbished subframes and braking system.

Engine bay was also striped and repainted.

everything needed to be done over 3 days, as the hoist was only available over the weekend.

Good thing is that I had rebuilt the sub frames, brakes and engine prior to the car being ready at the panel beater.

I'll now move the thread onto the suspension and brakes over haul/ rebuild.... followed by the engine rebuild before I come back to the installation of the refurbished parts being put into the car.

Suspension from a donor car bought a while back was stripped down and send for media blasting.

After blasting the parts were painted in a pink etching prime.

RE: Minimad Vanden Plas - Thumz - 07-11-2016

Simply, WOW!!!

parts all primed

RE: Minimad Vanden Plas - Minimad - 07-12-2016

went with a 2K signal red colour on sub frame and brake parts.....and high heat silver and black paint out of a can for the suspension parts.

in case you were wondering why I painted the complete disc on the braking surfaces ......instead of masking it.....I just put a thin film of grease over ...and after the paint was dry....I washed them in some degreaser.

the orange mini in the back ground of the front sub frame was my first project which was painted electric orange, which was also the donor car for the suspension bits and some other bits for the Vandenplas build.

RE: Minimad Vanden Plas - Minimad - 07-12-2016

mini spares order for suspension parts and wheel arches

Not sure if I mentioned that I have modified a set of BMW E30 brake callipers and discs to fit on the front of the mini. I also managed to get a set of drive flanges from Sean that were modified to 4 X 100 which meant that I would have more option when it cam to Rim.....which then meant that the rear would also need to be changes to 4 X 100....hence the need to Fabricated adaptor plates to fit a set of golf 2 GTI rear brake assembly to the mini.

RE: Minimad Vanden Plas - Thumz - 07-13-2016

As far as I know the mk2 Gti had discs at the rear?...are you doing an all round disc conversion?

RE: Minimad Vanden Plas - Minimad - 07-13-2016

Yes Thumz

I have disc brake all round ... BMW E30 Disc and Calipers on the front and GTI disc and calipers on the back.

For the rolling rubber I managed to source a set of 6J Black minilites in a 4 X 100 PCD. and thanks to Sean again I also got my hands on a 4 X 100 PCD minilite rim to use as a spare. (I still need to get around to painting it black before a can put the tyre on)

RE: Minimad Vanden Plas - Vinay-RS - 07-13-2016

Krishan, how do rear disc brakes feel on a mini? Not seen any of them around.