The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] file_put_contents(): Only 0 of 13129 bytes written, possibly out of free disk space - Line: 7037 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
[PHP] errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions.php 7037 file_put_contents
/inc/init.php 187 rebuild_settings
/global.php 20 require_once
/printthread.php 16 require_once

SA Classic Mini Forum
Gizmo (79 GTS) - Printable Version

+- SA Classic Mini Forum (https://samini.co.za)
+-- Forum: You and Your Mini (https://samini.co.za/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Your Classic Minis Story (https://samini.co.za/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Gizmo (79 GTS) (/showthread.php?tid=87)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Gizmo (79 GTS) - Miniac - 09-11-2015

(09-08-2015, 08:43 AM)Jared Mk3 Wrote: Maybe this will give you the motivation to move along quickly now Wink

This comment is proving to be true, I found myself some time to tinker on the GTS today, so I started on getting the replacement early model tank ready for paint by starting on the rust removal. There's a small patch(about 1" by 1/2") that might leave room for concern as it looks to be very thin after going over it with a wire brush, I might just get it brazed up or I might just be on the look out for another replacement larger capacity tank again.
[Image: DSC_0494.jpg]
The area just below the drain plug in the above pic is the only concern and a dent that I'm going to need to smooth out a little just as a case of neatness.
[Image: DSC_0493.jpg]

Another thing that I did today was start to lay out some of the bling bits that I've got to go onto Gizmo just to see how they'd look and what sort of Base colour I should use on the surrounding fixtures so as to contrast and compliment each other well.
Rad bracket...
[Image: DSC_0489.jpg]
Minifin tappet cover which has adorned (for a period of time) every minis engine that I've owned, now needing some TLC I'm hand polishing it back to how it should originally have looked (this is still a work in progress)...
[Image: DSC_0492.jpg]
Wiper motor bracket...
[Image: DSC_0490.jpg]

RE: Gizmo (79 GTS) - Jared Mk3 - 09-11-2015

Looking good Smile Glad to see you're finding some time.

RE: Gizmo (79 GTS) - Miniac - 09-11-2015

I managed to find a few pics of my Minifin tappet cover from when I started refurbishing it and by George was it in a state...

When I decided to clean it up it was looking a little worse for wear...
[Image: DSC_0710.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0713.jpg]
This is as it stands at the moment(still a work in progress), the pic makes it look far better than what I tend to think it is...
[Image: DSC_0498.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0496_1.jpg]
You can just make out the pitting that's still present on the back and front flat panels, not to mention on the fins themselves.

I have to say though, that I don't recall it being in such a state and looking at the then and now pictures has made all the efforts that much more worthwhile.

RE: Gizmo (79 GTS) - Jared Mk3 - 09-11-2015

That's really looking good there Ed Smile

RE: Gizmo (79 GTS) - DomMINIque - 09-12-2015

Neat job man.

RE: Gizmo (79 GTS) - Miniac - 09-12-2015

Thanks gents, it's still very much a work in progress as I've still got all the fins to clean up and then the real work begins, trying to build up a nice high sheen brushed finish.

RE: Gizmo (79 GTS) - Jared Mk3 - 09-12-2015

What cap are you going to use?

RE: Gizmo (79 GTS) - Miniac - 09-12-2015

(09-12-2015, 08:53 AM)Jared Mk3 Wrote: What cap are you going to use?

I'm yet to find one that'll work, I used to use one of those El cheapo Midas generic one cap fits all things with a whole heap of insulation tape to take up the slack but that's just not gonna cut it this time around and for that very reason I binned it to remove the temptation of just throwing it back on again. This way I can't use the cover unless I have a cap to use and that'll force my hand to either find something appropriate or have something unique machined up out of billet, the biggest limiting factor is the collar for the cap, it appears to be a sort of press fit but the closest I've found is from Moss Europe and MiniSpares (around the R700 mark). I'd love to find a retro 60s or 70s cap that'll work but if not then I'll go full custom one off.

RE: Gizmo (79 GTS) - Jared Mk3 - 09-12-2015

I think a custom one would be pretty cool. You could have something etched into the cap so it goes nicely with the car.

RE: Gizmo (79 GTS) - Miniac - 09-13-2015

I've got a funny idea that no matter what my choice is regarding tappet cover cap I'll need to have a collar machined to give me some meat to work with. Probably something similar to the one on this Minifin cover...
[Image: 10838866_311470449061236_557353927_a.jpg]
That's essentially the final result that I'd like to achieve finish wise.

(09-12-2015, 10:43 AM)JaredĀ Mk3 Wrote: I think a custom one would be pretty cool. You could have something etched into the cap so it goes nicely with the car.
In regard to a custom cap and having something etched into it, I was thinking of something along these design lines and possibly even have the cover bolts made up to match like so...
[Image: https3A2F2F36.media.tumblr.com2F2436528f...1_1280.jpg]
I've got a logo for my planned business that'll fit perfectly on the flat of the above cap, so I might just have to take you up on your advice and have that etched into it.