The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] file_put_contents(): Only 0 of 13129 bytes written, possibly out of free disk space - Line: 7037 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
[PHP] errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions.php 7037 file_put_contents
/inc/init.php 187 rebuild_settings
/global.php 20 require_once
/printthread.php 16 require_once

SA Classic Mini Forum
Towing with an A-Frame - Printable Version

+- SA Classic Mini Forum (https://samini.co.za)
+-- Forum: Technical Stuff (https://samini.co.za/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Technical Queries / Questions - Classic Mini (https://samini.co.za/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Towing with an A-Frame (/showthread.php?tid=212)

Towing with an A-Frame - Colin - 11-17-2015

Has anyone got any tips on towing with an A-frame?

The Clubman I'm looking at buying has an A-frame attached, but apparently when you hook it up the front wheels will just swing to full lock on one side or the other.

RE: Towing with an A-Frame - minatic - 11-18-2015

(11-17-2015, 10:36 PM)Colin Wrote: Has anyone got any tips on towing with an A-frame?

The Clubman I'm looking at buying has an A-frame attached, but apparently when you hook it up the front wheels will just swing to full lock on one side or the other.

Hi Colin,

I have tow a Mini from Pietermatirzburg to Centurion on  a-frame.

Just make sure that your steering column does not lock. What I did in my case I put the key in the ignition and turn it ON. Make sure your battery is disconnected otherwise you will have a dead battery, also to prevent the car kick starting in case it goes into gear. That is also another thing you need to make sure that there is nothing in the car that can fall into the gear leaver and engaging the car into gear.

Otherwise it shall follow you like a trailer. Just be careful with tight cornering like parking lots, etc. the wheels will do it own thing and straighten by itself. If the road is wet don't corner to fast this can cause you to jack knife. I have once had a mini throwing the back end of my car out on a wet road. I took the corner a bit to fast which I should have not. This was in town not open road. On the open road you will not have this problem. Just ride carefully. I dove 100km/h all the way and I had no problem.

Just think of safety all the time.

ps: make sure that the car you are towing has a valid licence and that you have lights on the back connected to front car. Think it as a trailer.

RE: Towing with an A-Frame - minitim - 11-18-2015

I have very successfully towed my Clubby on an A-frame. Maybe send us pics of the setup so as we can see the connection points and length of the A-frame. Also the level of the frame between the 2 cars.

RE: Towing with an A-Frame - Dion - 11-18-2015

If the steering wheel is turning from lock to lock I would jack up the car and rotate the wheels by hand to make sure they are free and there is no excessive movement on the suspension components. Also if tyre pressures are to low it could cause problems when towing.

RE: Towing with an A-Frame - Colin - 11-19-2015

(11-18-2015, 08:47 AM)minitim Wrote: I have very successfully towed my Clubby on an A-frame. Maybe send  us pics of the setup so as we can see the connection points and length of the A-frame. Also the level of the frame between the 2 cars.

This is the A-frame. I'm not sure what was being used to tow it.
[Image: image_7.jpeg]

RE: Towing with an A-Frame - minatic - 11-20-2015

(11-19-2015, 11:24 PM)Colin Wrote:
(11-18-2015, 08:47 AM)minitim Wrote: I have very successfully towed my Clubby on an A-frame. Maybe send  us pics of the setup so as we can see the connection points and length of the A-frame. Also the level of the frame between the 2 cars.

This is the A-frame. I'm not sure what was being used to tow it.
[Image: image_7.jpeg]

That will work you should not have a problem. Good luck and let us know how was the experience.
Have a safe trip and enjoy.

RE: Towing with an A-Frame - KAD16V - 11-24-2015

That must be a North West car....bull-bar to take on a buffalo and roof rack for all the camping gear...love the Land Rover recovery winch !