The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] file_put_contents(): Only 0 of 13129 bytes written, possibly out of free disk space - Line: 7037 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
[PHP] errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions.php 7037 file_put_contents
/inc/init.php 187 rebuild_settings
/global.php 20 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looseness in gear lever
Hi all, 

Recently I was told that my gear selector is a little loose and that something might need replacing (forgot what exactly). I was wondering where I should start to investigate and whether it would be a job I could tackle myself? Please note, I am still pretty useless at most technical jobs Tongue   
I was also curious what the replacement parts might cost, as cash is a wee bit tight at the moment. 

Thanks,

Vinay
(01-29-2016, 11:23 AM)Vinay-RS Wrote: Hi all, 

Recently I was told that my gear selector is a little loose and that something might need replacing (forgot what exactly). I was wondering where I should start to investigate and whether it would be a job I could tackle myself? Please note, I am still pretty useless at most technical jobs Tongue   
I was also curious what the replacement parts might cost, as cash is a wee bit tight at the moment. 

Thanks,

Vinay
On mine I had the same problem. The hemisphere that works on the selector pin is soft material and wears. I tried to get a second hand one, but they are all worn, and I didn't want to buy a whole new expensive assembly. The first photo shows what I had (Its a bit out of focus, but you can see a big hole instead of a slot) Since the pin is only one side I knocked the hemisphere up the stick a little until it was free, rotated it, knocked it back down in position, and sawed a new slot and cleaned it up with a dremel. You just need to take a little care not to oversize the slot else your'e back at square one. In 2026 you might have to do it again Dodgy

Attached Files Image(s)

That slot that you recreated looks factory made.
DodgyFOR LITTLE OLD LADIES IT AIN'TTongue
1979 GTS
Thank you u09521 (dunno your name Tongue ). I don't have a dremel, but one of my colleagues at work has one. I'll ask him if I can borrow it and give it a try this weekend.

Next noob question, how do I remove the lever to check it?
(02-01-2016, 07:50 AM)Vinay-RS Wrote: Thank you u09521 (dunno your name Tongue ). I don't have a dremel, but one of my colleagues at work has one. I'll ask him if I can borrow it and give it a try this weekend.

Name is Dion - not to be confused with other esteemed forum member Wink
You can also invest in a little set of rat files instead - good to have anyway
Funny the manuals don't say much (I wanted to write RTFM Big Grin ) but if I can remember correctly you just twist off the upper dome part under the boot from the inside, like a lightbulb, & it comes out
(02-01-2016, 09:14 AM)u09521 Wrote:
(02-01-2016, 07:50 AM)Vinay-RS Wrote: Thank you u09521 (dunno your name Tongue ). I don't have a dremel, but one of my colleagues at work has one. I'll ask him if I can borrow it and give it a try this weekend.

Name is Dion - not to be confused with other esteemed forum member Wink
You can also invest in a little set of rat files instead - good to have anyway
Funny the manuals don't say much (I wanted to write RTFM Big Grin ) but if I can remember correctly you just twist off the upper dome part under the boot from the inside, like a lightbulb, & it comes out

Thanks Dion Smile
I'll do that this weekend and update this post. I tend to work in my lab/office space and we actually have a full set of files, including round files.
Once you have the gear lever out, you may want to check the eye rod extension yoke. It wears out and then there is slop between the ball at the end of the gear lever and this yoke.     
(02-01-2016, 02:20 PM)Boyscout Wrote: Once you have the gear lever out, you may want to check the eye rod extension yoke. It wears out and then there is slop between the ball at the end of the gear lever and this yoke. 

That is what was wrong with my 1275E.
I replaced that and it was 100% again. I had to get it replaced at Kollie in Pretoria, because of the pins you need is not a standard size.
Rough cost of the replacement parts Deon?
I think it will be in the region of R700 with the current exchange rate. I got mine from Philip (Classic mini spares) at the time. You should be able to get from Sports Car centre or maybe you can get Sean to import. If you are careful you can reuse the spring pins, (I did) just have a good look at the position of the pins when you drive them out. If the yoke is in the wrong place then you could end up with the pin half out and jamming everything.