Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rust Removal - Fuel tank
I need to clean out the rust from the fuel tank. I tried white spirit vinegar yesterday evening. Wasn't very effective. Any suggestions on what I can use. I would appreciate all the help /advice.
I had the same problem, but just ended up replacing the entire tank
Hey Quest,

Did you add a bunch of old bolts and nuts into the tank while doing the Vinegar wash? You would then give the tank a vigorous shake every now and then. It helps remove all the rust.
some of the experienced guys suggest pool acid but not sure how to use it and neutralize it again afterwards maybe one of the experienced guys can comment further
Hi

You did let the vinegar solution stand for about a day plus, right.

I used this method and it worked great on my panelvan tank.
Own some minis, break them, fix them, improve them, test them to the limit....
(12-04-2017, 10:28 AM)moemini Wrote: some of the experienced guys suggest pool acid but not sure how to use it and neutralize it again afterwards maybe one of the experienced guys can comment further

I used 10l pool acid and rest water. Let it stand overnight and all rust is gone. I neutralized with a box of bicarb. The problem is just it rusts immediately again, so you have to do something pronto. I sprayed some WD40 type stuff around the inside, but it still needs more. Maybe swish some diesel around in there.
and BTW if you leave the fuel cap on with the acid inside, the inside parts will vaporize...