Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standard Exhaust clamp
Does anyone have a "best practice" advice of how to fasten the standard down pipe to the standard exhaust manifold without getting it to leak? I'm talking about that strange flared connection with the clamp.

I've tried a couple of times but I think there is to little allowance for movement in the exhaust and then the seal goes at the connection. I'm toying with the idea of putting in a short flexible piece right after the bend (next to where the gear change rod enters the gearbox on a magic want type gearbox) to reduce the rigidity of the whole exhaust system. But that still leaves me with that darn-est of clamps to put onto a pipe in an area that will give some people claustrophobia.
I've had similar problems in the past and have fitted and refitted that exact same clamp countless times, my overall opinion is to just do away with the stock system and replace it with a branch manifold, if you're looking to save money you can generally find a decent second hand setup going from time to time, the stock GTS crows foot is a good upgrade over the cast manifold and most second hand mini Spares places should have one or something similar lying around.
DodgyFOR LITTLE OLD LADIES IT AIN'TTongue
1979 GTS
That connection is utterly shit in its design. I haven't found a solution to that problem yet. I wonder if one could fold up a piece of fire blanket or some other heat resistant material around that joint and clamp it into position (?)
I pack it good with Gun-Gum and then fasten the clamp. But when I mean pack it good, I mean pack it GOOD all around the joint.
It lasts for a while. Also make sure the mount that keeps the bottom pipe attached to the gearbox side is fastened so that there is no movement on the joint.
If that mount is loose or missing it will pull loose again.