The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] file_put_contents(): Only 0 of 13129 bytes written, possibly out of free disk space - Line: 7037 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
[PHP] errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions.php 7037 file_put_contents
/inc/init.php 187 rebuild_settings
/global.php 20 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter Solenoid connection
Howzit Guys, I know that I am becoming a post junkie however I also know that If I need help with my mini you guys 
are the ones to turn to.
I am having a problem with the ignition on my car.
When I try to start the car by pressing the red button the car starts and runs however if i let go of the button the car switches off.
My dad was to do something but forgot which wires go where.

Grimz,

You need to check whether you have +12V on the coil with the car switched on. My guess is that the ignition wire is interrupted from the ignition switch to the coil. When you push in the button on the solenoid you are probably giving the coil power from the solenoid side and the moment you release it the power is interupted fron the solenoid side.

So some solenoids have a terminal that has 12V when the solenoid is energized. This is usually used on ignition systems that make use of a ballast resistor. In this case power to the coil is fed from the ignition switch to the coil via the resistor for normal running. However when starting, the terminal mentioned above is connected directly to the coil, bypassing the ballast resistor. Your car is probably wired up in this fashion so the coil now only gets power when the start solenoid is energized.

So check that you have 12v on the coil postive terminal with the ignition switched on. Let us know what you find and we can take it from there.

Hope this helps

Question, why do you have that Cole Hersee solenoid in there, for the lights?
Just as Boyscout said.

I just have one concern when you say that you have to hold the button on the solenoid. Please be careful in doing so because that means your starter is engaged that whole time while the engine is running, which means you will burn out the starter.

Go through the wires as Boyscout has suggested to fix your problem and avoid running the engine until you sort the problem otherwise you will land up with more.

Good luck and let us know on the progress.
Thank you guys. I will check it out today when I get home and let you guys know.
Thank u guys I managed to get the ignition sorted. U guys were right the coil was not getting power when the key
Was turned on. I swopped the wires around on the ignition and switch and all is fine now. Car starts on the turn and stays on
When i leave the button.
Happy that you sorted it.
Hi guys,

Please could someone help on how to rewire the starter solenoid.
The push button one currently on the car is on its way out and I cant seem to find other
one like that anyway. I bought solenoid without the button but when I connect it the battery wire
get very hot and when the key is on the wire are starting the smoke.
I connected it exactly how it was connected.
this is the new solenoid im using and the ones in the pic above is the ones i took out.
the one on the firewall was not connect and i have removed it.

Hi,

Since I struggled with the same thing I feel your pain.

The one thing that I never knew was that the solenoid needs to be grounded to the body of the car, was it connected/mounted to the engine or body work when it got hot?

Below is a diagram I found that is for a triumph but its the same for the mini for correct solenoid wiring,

The side marked "To starter" is the side where main starter wire connects and also where the bracket is that mounts onto the body is, needs a nice clean grounded connection onto bare metal preferably.

"start W/R" is the white and red wire from the ignition

"Coil W/Y" is only for cars that have ballasted coils that need a 12v input, don't think yours does so no connection here

Brown wires are all the wires that provide power to wiring loom.

Hope that helps

[-] The following 1 user Likes Cooper1275's post:
  • u09521
Hi Bud 

Thank you for your reply.

Yes the solenoid was mounted to the flywheel housing when it got hot. 
I did however try to put a grounded wire to it which then started smoking up.

I will try to follow the diagram and see how it goes. 
I think the problem is the wires coming from the ignition to the solenoid.

Will get a new ignition and check how it is cause the previous owner put the button solenoid 
due to the ignition being stuffed.