Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MkII Morris Pickup Bonnet Badge
This isn't a very technical question for the Technical Query forum, but it seemed to fit here best.

I live near Los Angeles in the US and have a 1969 South African MkII Pickup with a very poor original bonnet badge. It is the simple round domed clear plastic badge with rear painted red Morris bull and wavy blue lines for the water/stream.  They aren't available new and good used ones go for crazy money on E-Bay. 

Can anyone tell me if the SA MkII badge was completely painted on the back, including silver and a white background like the attached picture I found of a British badge?  Or was it clear except for the painted ox and stream, with a silver piece of plastic coated paper behind it like mine has?  I don't know if that silver paper is original or if it was just someone's simplified attempt at repainting.    

A friend is casting a new badge  and will paint it, but I don't know which way to have him paint it.  I  want to keep the pickup looking fairly original so I'll try to  duplicate whatever came from the factory.

I couldn't find anything relevant on the internet then I ran across your forum, so I hope someone from its birthplace can assist.

Thank you.
I'd imagine the badge being to the same spec as the UK cars with the painted background.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
(08-24-2016, 06:34 PM)Jared Mk3 Wrote: I'd imagine the badge being to the same spec as the UK cars with the painted background.

That's what I expected until I took off the badge.  The painted paper disk looked manufactured - looked die cut and perfectly round.  It seemed too perfect to have been cut out with scissors like i would expect from someone doing it at home.  It made me wonder if those badges might have been made in SA and it was different because of that.

Without proof either way I guess I'll copy the British ones.

Thank you.