Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mini Pick Up Rebuild - Warning - Not for Sensitive Veiwers
Some really neat work there.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
Looks like a lot of work has been done so far.
Looking really good Rich, you'll have that Pup looking and running better than the factory ever thought possible in no time.
DodgyFOR LITTLE OLD LADIES IT AIN'TTongue
1979 GTS
I got a bit of work done over the weekend.  

Was not happy with the welds from last week, so cleaned up the section at the rear of the pan, and went over the join once again, just need to clean it up once again. 

[Image: P1090071_zpsnce9ozoc.jpg]

[Image: P1090101_zpssqkkk2ud.jpg]

[Image: P1090102_zpszlndhwil.jpg]

Cleaned up the spot welds on the drivers side sill where the original panel meets the new floor pan

[Image: P1090100_zpssckeyixj.jpg]

[Image: P1090099_zpsycgezv1l.jpg]
Bloody hell, that's some seriously nice welding you've done there Rich.
DodgyFOR LITTLE OLD LADIES IT AIN'TTongue
1979 GTS
Also managed to get the front panels cut during the week, final prep and welding done on Saturday.

[Image: P1090088_zpsvzlnacrv.jpg]

[Image: P1090090_zpsn4gh2tai.jpg]

[Image: P1090095_zps3eadnmt9.jpg]

[Image: P1090096_zps29xdot60.jpg]

[Image: P1090097_zpsbidminqx.jpg]

[Image: P1090103_zpsshhtjhah.jpg]

[Image: P1090104_zpslalhfdjv.jpg]

Probably will be another week or 2 until I get another chance to work on the car, but happy with the progress so far. Will clean up the welds next time and maybe even put on some red oxide, then repeat it all again for the other side.

Sustained a very nice burn in between my small toe and the toe next to it, a hot piece of molten steel dropped onto my safety boots, found the only piece of vinyl/polyester and went straight through, danced around for a while but managed to carry on shortly afterwards.
Some awesome welding there. Good job Rich.
Some really nice work! I need to learn how to weld . . .
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
Neat work man!

What are you using to grind down the welds? Flap disc or grinding disc?
Did you use TEK screws to keep everything together before welding? That's very clever!

(09-20-2015, 06:29 PM)Richie Rich Wrote: Sustained a very nice burn in between my small toe and the toe next to it, a hot piece of molten steel dropped onto my safety boots, found the only piece of vinyl/polyester and went straight through, danced around for a while but managed to carry on shortly afterwards.

I had a buddy who helped me de-seam a Mini many years ago. He used a Oxy torch to do the welding. The front door A-pillar was at some time filled in with lead. When he started welding the seam, a stream of molten lead ran down his thigh and settled in his flip flop, making an impromptu casting of the space between his foot bridge and the plakkie. He politely asked my wife to close her ears and then some choice words were used, instantly enriching my vocabulary. This was quite and achievement because I had spent 5 years in the Airforce and thought I had heard every expletive ever spoken.