Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stuck odometer
2y2m2 odo has stuck on 30000.  I have pictures from a year ago showing 30038. Any ideas?Yes, speedo works so No , not the cable. Wink
Driving a Mini turns you into a Hooligan  Angry
Open it and see if you can see any damage on the plastic gears

You can drive it with a variable speed drill on a slow speed to check it while it is working
I'm only here to LOL and +1
(10-17-2015, 03:23 PM)Enzio Wrote: Open it and see if you can see any damage on the plastic gears

You can drive it with a variable speed drill on a slow speed to check it while it is working

Great- will do that. Will have to wait until end of the month- busy until then. Tnx stx. I wasnt sure if it was able to be opened- get all them finger-popping springs bouncing around the house.
Pry open the bent edges of the bezel and remove the bezel and glass. Undo the two screws on the back that holds the housing to the innards. Carefully lift the face out ensuring that the mechanisms behind it hanging down remains in the same position as they were installed. Mark the position of the metal disk (for lack of a better term) that's attached to the back of the needle with a permanent marker so you can make sure the needle remains calibrated (ie. so you can put it back in the same position if you have to remove it). Check the little white plastic arm that's supposed to grab the gear next to the 10th of a km dial. These often wear out especially if you drive the car too long with a stuck odometer. If it is worn, you'll have to replace it with one from a similar speedo. 

To adjust the odometer, simply turn the dials over to 30001 or whatever. These odometers like to get stuck right before going over to round numbers for example from 29999 to 30000 because the little plastic arm and gear have to pull all six dials at the same time. It will probably get stuck again when another big milestone is reached unless you clean it out. I've used hot water at dish soap on it before. Don't be tempted to spray Q20 on the odometer because it will make the yellow and white paint that the numbers are made off come off. Don't ask me how I know that Dodgy

Assembly is the reverse of stripping Confused
great Abri. Youve just earned your 3 Champion leads!! :-) :-) ;-)

Interesting- went to the Mini to open the speedo and ..................it came right on it's own! So will wait and see when it gets to 30100.