Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clubman reincarnated
Hi Guys

I got called on to fix a 1098 Clubman.  It had been resprayed and the interior had been redone, but the car just could not be driven and it kept on over heating and struggled to stop. Huh

The poor car had to be towed to my shop.  While towing the left front wheel bearing was screaming like a pig. Angry

So after starting the car it smoked like a locomotive.  I did a compression test and it was way down on all four cylinders. After removing the head.  I found that the valves will need to be reground and the cylinder head will have to be serviced at the engineering shop.
I then found that the pistons are 6mm from the top of the block instead of nearly flush (like it would normally be) when the engine is at TDC, the part number on the piston indicated that the pistons fitted is in fact 1275cc pistons instead of 1100cc pistons.
I then proceeded to remove the engine and stripped the flywheel and gearbox off the block to find that the engine is indeed fitted with an 1100cc crank and not a 1275cc crank.

Just to list some other faults found on the journey to fixing this poor car.

Threaded rod was used instead of the correct nuts and washers and studs on the inlet/exhaust mountings and on the thermostat housing.
The head stud nuts was fitted with no washers and the rocker shaft studs also had no washers fitted, thus the head could not be torqued down to the correct spec.
At various places the studs was stripped and the nuts was forced on and or stripped.
The diaphragm of the clutch was not fitted with shake proof washers, the flywheel bolt and crank pulley bolt was fitted without their lock tabs.
The valve clearances was set incorrectly.
The bottom radiator hose is joined and no thermostat was fitted to the cooling system, also only water and no anti-freeze was in the cooling system. The water pump impeller is nearly rusted off the shaft.
The engine did not have enough oil in it. The engine was covered in oil even after I used my pressure washer to wash the engine it was still badly covered. All four gaiters for the CV joints was leaking the ghries out.
A bicycle cable was used as the throttle cable.
On the clutch the problems was numerous, the clutch arm, plunger and pushrod has been modified, bolts was used instead of the correct clevis pins to fit the clutch arm and pushrod. No locknut or clutch plunger stop was fitted to the plunger. The clutch plate is soaked in oil, due to the flywheel oil seal leaking and will have to be replaced. The flywheel and back plate will have to be balanced and machined correctly for the clutch to work properly, the throw out stop and return was not adjusted correctly.
The carburettor jet is un-usable and must be replaced, there is play in the throttle shaft and spindle, thus this must also be replaced.
The gearbox was mounted with bolts that are too short and some of them had stripped threads. The remote housing bushes was very badly worn and the rod eye is also worn past the point of being usable, that is why the gear selection was such a problem. The coupler for the gear change rod was fitted with bolts and nuts instead of the correct roll-pins.
The gaskets between the flywheel housing cover and engine seems to have been used more than once and the same goes for the gaskets between the gearbox and block. Too much gasket maker was used everywhere, on the oil feed pipe on the gearbox it was extremely bad due to the gasket maker almost blocking the oil feed hole.
The primary gear is busy disintegrating.
The steering rack boots are worn out and there is bad play in the steering rack itself. It seems like the steering shaft also has a problem where the shaft enters into the steering rack.
The Right hand ball joints are fitted without their locking tabs on the top and bottom.
The rubber cones are very badly worn on the front suspension and the ride height is severely affected. Also the lower control arm bushes and tie bar bushes must be replaced. The Right hand engine mounting did not have either of it’s two bolts and nuts fitted and was thus loose.
Both front wheel bearings are worn out very very badly. The steering was also a huge problem as the car when turned to the right after turning to the left would struggle to be corrected to the straight position again.

Due to the challenges involved in finding and using a 1275 crank, it was decided to utilize the current 1098 crank with a set of used pistons.

The engineering shop duly informed me that at 20 thou oversize the bores would not be usable, so I sourced a set of 30 thou pistons.  Ironically the crank big end and mains was also at 30 thou.  The cylinder head got serviced and needed two new exhaust valves.

Naturally the usual items was replaced also during the engine rebuild like oil- and water pump.  Timing chain and follower, cam followers etc.
Own some minis, break them, fix them, improve them, test them to the limit....
Phil you always seem to do such awesome work when you get your hands on a new car, do you by any chance have a pic of the car in question?
DodgyFOR LITTLE OLD LADIES IT AIN'TTongue
1979 GTS
Glad to hear it's being sorted out properly Smile
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
Hi Miniac 

This is the car.
Or well it looked like this after most of the rebuild had been completed.

The nice condition of one of the pistons during the strip down.

What happens when keep driving a mini without worrying about crank end float and setting clutch return stop correctly.

The poor crank.

Just to clarify the difference between 1098 piston and 1275 piston and their wrist pin vs height.

The beautifully worn rod-eye, that was replaced with a new one.

No wonder the brakes did not work, all the slave cylinders was rusted virtually solid, and the latest method to run mini brakes correctly is to fill AFT into the brake master cylinder and hope for the best, NOT.

The layshaft during the gearbox teardown.
Yes it was replaced with the bearings etc.

22G1040 Close ratio gearset.  Nice

Dropping the white painted front-subframe.  It was resprayed and rebuilt with new rubber cones, lower control arm bushes and tie bar bushes and top it all off a brand new steering rack was fitted just for kicks.

Old steering rack VS the new one.

Two flat front rubber cones and their rusted aluminium cones, new rubber cones was fitted with a set of adjustable hi-los.

All fixed up and back in the body.

Some really great work. Best way to do it is the right way - first time.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
Amazing work on show and in depth analysis.

All the best and looking forward to the finish line.
So next up the both the front hubs had their wheel bearings and ball joints and wheel cylinders replaced.

The block had all the threads cleaned and was taped up and resprayed with engine enamel, fire truck red for more speed.  The welsch plugs was also replaced and the water ways and oil gallery cleaned to perfection with a scribe and compressed air.

Checking the crank end float and making sure the "new" crank is not destroyed like the old one, during assembly.

New timing chain, timing chain follower and obviously gasket.

After getting the end float of the primary gear within spec, even cleaned up the crank's treads with my tap.

Fitting the flywheel oil seal with the correct tool for the job.

This is what a properly balanced lightened flywheel and back plate looks like.

New clutch kit before fitment.

All fitted together again, just waiting for the head.

There's some seriously good workmanship going into this build. Keep up the good work.
DodgyFOR LITTLE OLD LADIES IT AIN'TTongue
1979 GTS
Prepping the rocker cover after sanding it to bare metal.

Some red oxide primer.

Final result.  Just too bad it is a standard head.

After finishing the engine and gearbox.

The brakes was next inline for some TLC.

Rebuilding the brake master cylinder.

Some new brake drums and brake shoes all round.

New outer cv joint and inner pot joint boots.

Next up the HS4 SU carb was rebuilt with a new throttle shaft and jet and needle and seat.

Re threading the damaged LH window winder screw.

The dash area was not up to spec, so I found the top dash was loose and no nuts fitted, so I sourced some nuts and fitted it.

The central dash before, not very nice.

Replaced the rubber fuel hose from the tank and the hard line under the car.

Installed longer wheel studs at the back with new spacered rear drums to run mags easily.

Spacered rear drum vs standard front drum.

Found the windows to be a bit hard to move up and down, so I ghriesed the sliders.

Installed a new clutch plunger, clutch arm and push rod with spring holder and clutch slave cylinder.

The engine top steady and both bottom steadies was installed with new rubber bushes.

The new shocks went in and also the new wheel arches was installed.

Installed the mech water temp gauge and its correct adapter for the cylinder head and a new multi function switch for the RH of the steering column.

Fixed some wiring on the rocker switches and installed the missing switches.

Good job!