Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where to begin
so bieng a newbie to the forum and after introducing myself its time to get down to business Big Grin

where to begin with my car?
what should i start with....
mechanical stuff
brakes
suspension
body work
interior

or does it not really matter Huh

any input will be appreciated
Brakes!! being able to stop is more important than being able to go fast.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Boyscout's post:
  • moemini
makes sense but upgraded brakes needs bigger wheels isnt
(03-08-2016, 11:56 AM)Boyscout Wrote: Brakes!! being able to stop is more important than being able to go fast.

Hear hear! Have to agree with this.

(03-08-2016, 02:05 PM)moemini Wrote: makes sense but upgraded brakes needs bigger wheels isnt

If you're going Golf or GTS 8.4" discs, then yes, bigger wheels. If you can find and fit a set of Cooper S/GT 7.5" discs, then you stay with 10s.

I'll add that following the brakes, look at suspension and any other mechanical bits.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jared Mk3's post:
  • moemini
thanks guys

looking at the recomended suppliers thread turns out im 8km away from DEZ mini Big Grin  will make a turn there and see what he can do

i am going to go 13'' eventually so will probably go for golf brake upgrade

any other help appreciated Heart
If I may comment (from experience) - why do you want to go 13" eventually?

Large wheels was the single worst modification I ever did on my car.
In all honesty - it is simply not worth it. It amplifies all the poor suspension attributes of a mini and provides no benefit (except styling, if you prefer the large wheel look).

Give your drum brakes a good service and check that all is well. When properly set up they are every bit as good as the discs, they only require more frequent adjustment (every 3 months when I was using my car daily).
From there I would look at 7.5" discs if you want to go for discs or just prefer the wider stance provided by the increased track of the disc brake setup.

Anyway, this is just my 2c and you can obviously do what you want with your car.
I'm only here to LOL and +1
[-] The following 1 user Likes Enzio's post:
  • moemini
thanks enzio

all input welcome will check how things go truth is i want the wide stance the 13' provides but will first sort out all mechanical stuff first

and i see you say after doing disc upgrade the track is wider ?
Yes, the disc brake setups push out the wheels 25mm (1 inch)
I'm only here to LOL and +1
I must admit to being a fan of the 10s, BUT since i put the 13s on my Mini with the Nankang tires, i can honestly say i am not disappointed.

I think the fact that i have slight negative camber at the front and the rims are only 6" wide helps.
(03-08-2016, 08:55 PM)moemini Wrote: thanks guys

looking at the recomended suppliers thread turns out im 8km away from DEZ mini Big Grin  will make a turn there and see what he can do

i am going to go 13'' eventually so will probably go for golf brake upgrade

any other help appreciated Heart

Mo what suburb you in? 

I you 8km from Dez then we're probably not too far from each other.