Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polishing, painting, plating?
I have searched this and other forums for a guide to polishing, painting or electroplating engine parts. Does any one know of a good guide or could some of the experienced forum members draw up a list?

From my reading and discussion with various people I have concluded that the standard metalic master cylinders should not be painted, can be polished and can be zinc-plated. The brake fluid tarnishes the paint and polish, which makes zinc-plating the most durable option. Chrome-plating is often not successful due to all the hooks and crannies that cannot be covered sufficiently. Is this correct?

Gregory

Attached Files Image(s)

Gregory
It is what you think you know already that prevents you from learning.
I am here to learn. Teach me.
A lot of those parts can painted if prepped properly. Also, in terms of the master cylinders, you can paint them in something like caliper paint, which should hold some resistance to brake fluid and can give good coverage. 

CLICKY - follow that link and go down the page to see what mine look like. Tried to copy the image here for you, but it's not showing up unfortunately.

[Image: IMG_00000329_zps07540b7f.jpg]
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jared Mk3's post:
  • gweir
(08-29-2016, 06:28 PM)Jared Mk3 Wrote: A lot of those parts can painted if prepped properly. Also, in terms of the master cylinders, you can paint them in something like caliper paint, which should hold some resistance to brake fluid and can give good coverage. 

CLICKY - follow that link and go down the page to see what mine look like. Tried to copy the image here for you, but it's not showing up unfortunately.

Thanks Jared.  I painted my master cylinders before, but it didn't last.  I didn't use calliper paint though.  After polishing mine I've sent them for zinc plating and will post pictures when I get them back.
Gregory
It is what you think you know already that prevents you from learning.
I am here to learn. Teach me.