Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thumz MKIII 4AGE build
As Dom said - don't bother with rear disc brakes.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
Wouldn't rear disc brakes also require a complete modification of the handbrake setup?
I would assume so Vinay, when doing the brakes though I'd need a complete new system from master, to lines and drums/discs itself, anyone know where i may get new hubs? as the stock ones are obviously 4x101.6 PCD not a big issue though would increase the range of rims i can choose. That will come in time maybe around August, the aim is to have her road ready for December.
So it depends what your end plans are but this to me would seems probably like the best bet from what I see as your thought pattern.

Put golf/toyota disks on the front.
Leave the mini stuff on the back.
You'll have to go 13" wheels.

If you want to go 4x100 then get yourself some adapter plates (which you'll need for the rear anyways otherwise the rear wheels will be much further in compared to the front due to the disk setup.

That's about as far as my knowledge goes.

Why would you need a complete new system?
Whilst removing the engine noticed a few kinks in the brake lines, which obviously isn't good, when i bought it the brakes weren't working, so drove from honeydew to midrand using my gears and a bit of luck at the robots. I'm also looking at it as a performance car and safety as well.
Have new lines made up.
You'll probably find that the brake cylinders have seized hence the brakes not working, that's the case with my car.

You'll need to just wait for someone to come along and give you some more info on using the std mini master cylinder (with/without a booster) in conjunction with the golf/toyota conversion.
Safe yourself the trouble and don't go for rear brakes. Ask me its a crap job.
I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.
Rainbow 
So after a long time away I thought I'll post a few pics to just update the build, been a very busy time for me however not so much for the mini, got the engine out with gearbox, next few steps will be the disc brake upgrade subframe change and rust removal (in no order), would probably need to do the rust removal first though because my stands are currently placed on the subframe due to the floor been rusted through as shown in the pictures.

question, would it be beneficial to just patch the floor or remove the entire floor plate and replace it? also any takers on a complete 850cc motor and gearbox, have no idea what its worth but I am hoping that its sale will contribute to the very expensive subframe.

[Image: 49C1EB21-5E77-4818-B211-7D2C4436E9B2_zpsehxsyo8f.jpg]

[Image: DE6B4C7C-889F-4498-A162-B9DA40648E21_zps82sodsgp.jpg]

[Image: 6C7583C4-E564-4026-843B-3C31755B9B2D_zpsrgrekghm.jpg]

[Image: E80C2C2D-4751-4BAF-8870-B83F9DDC6394_zps3bwv0jvf.jpg]

[Image: AB347354-78F9-47FA-B1FE-206FB060BAFD_zpszwuqaxao.jpg]

[Image: 225676CE-9CF9-442A-B4E0-8F5E75AD0376_zpsrmgrbhyn.jpg]
scrape the sound deadening off to see how bad the metal is.
Agree with Sean. Use a heatgun and get that stuff off the floors so you can decide properly.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]