Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mini Pick Up Rebuild - Warning - Not for Sensitive Veiwers
Glad you're back on this. Nice work Smile
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
(09-25-2016, 02:05 AM)Miniac Wrote: Looking good as always Rich, your workmanship is something to be admired
X2
Couldn't agree more with this.
So privileged to have a build like this shared
Good going Rich. True labour of love...
Thanks Rich, for sharing your work of Art/ heart .....you're a big inspiration to those of us that have rusty panels with no Idea were to start....lol. My panel van is not to bad but I am sure its going to need a few of Richie Rich panels.

Are you still planning on putting the 20V engine in the pick-up?
Hi guys

Thanks for the kind words

Krishen, yup, the plan is still to do the 20v transplant since I have all the pieces.

Still deciding on the final exterior colour scheme, time and money will tell
(09-26-2016, 07:58 PM)Richie Rich Wrote: Still deciding on the final exterior colour scheme, time and money will tell

Go with something classic and understated like a real wolf in sheeps clothing, it'll make it more fun for you when you smoke the unsuspecting boy racer off the line  Cool
DodgyFOR LITTLE OLD LADIES IT AIN'TTongue
1979 GTS
With the new rear panel on the car I managed to get to some of the smaller repairs required for the drivers side of the car. Repair panels that wont really be seen, but cant really leave a hole.

A couple of templates were made, then transferred to steel and prepped for install.

First 1 is the rear beam where the subframe attaches. Rusted through, but I simply plated this, as access for cutting and grinding is minimal

[Image: P1090883_zpsg5dfrccv.jpg]

New repair panel

[Image: P1090892_zpscm8wlwgo.jpg]

Welded in

[Image: P1090893_zps1drcbwny.jpg]

The next panel is where the front of the subframe attaches

[Image: P1090884_zpsmxfvzz1j.jpg]

Repair panel ready for welding

[Image: P1090886_zpso26kpbxj.jpg]

[Image: P1090887_zpsooeh0tmq.jpg]

And welded in

[Image: P1090895_zpsm1fsz0yh.jpg]

Due to the condition of the inner A panels, the bottom of these were total removed. the next repair was simply to add the strength back in that area

[Image: P1090888_zpssqwdukeu.jpg]

[Image: P1090889_zps5p41sayp.jpg]

Not the best welds, but should clean up nicely

[Image: P1090897_zpssh1cdpfs.jpg]

[Image: P1090898_zpsbsnm5qhn.jpg]

Finally, finished off the day with some seam welding/closing

Rear wheel arch

[Image: P1090894_zps6xidtjec.jpg]

Outer sill

[Image: P1090896_zpsvezzc6im.jpg]

I just need a couple hours to grind back and coat with primer.

Just a couple of photos with the drivers side door on

[Image: P1090899_zps33lem0sh.jpg]

[Image: P1090890_zpsc99mezen.jpg]

[Image: P1090891_zpsz56rwpav.jpg]

Need to sort the gaps out but I couldn't resist seeing it with a door on.

Next step for progress will be to remove the rear valance and prep for the new panels.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Richie Rich's post:
  • Vinay-RS
Fantastic work. We can all come for lessons from you.
Look awesome Richard....keep up the good work. I'm sure plumbing is much easier on the eyes than welding....lol.
So, after quite a long break, I am pleased to announce that I have started again. At least its a bit cooler to.

Ground back all the welds along the seams and coated with red oxide.

Removed what was left of the rear valance and the supporting steel. A captive nut was missing for the tailgate hinges, at the same time, the existing captive nuts were drilled out and then tapped to a 10mm metric size for capheads at a later stage.

A new support panel was bent, cut and drilled. Then welded into place.
[Image: P1100294_zpscv4sm9nq.jpg]

After welding into place, red oxide was applied and then some hammerite as this area is not easy to access for painting.
[Image: P1100293_zps0myv6qh0.jpg]

I had brought the rear valance replacement pieces in years ago, and prepped them for installation. In the below pic, the extra holes have been filled with Q Bond, in case theyll be needed later.
[Image: P1100296_zpsqmtp8kvt.jpg]

The panels also recieved a layer of Hammerite and were punched ready for welding. Clamped into place and a bit of tweaking to get the perfect fit before welding.
[Image: P1100291_zpsnjzsavky.jpg]

[Image: P1100292_zps3yr58qjp.jpg]

Hopefully I can do some welding this weekend and get them into place.

In preparation for the passenger side repairs, I have cut out all the rot but now Ill have to make new panels as per the drivers side.
[Image: P1100295_zpsyyfjteke.jpg]

As mentioned, hopefully Ill find the time to do the welding, will keep you posted.

Managed to buy a wavy grille and a rear subframe which are ready to fit, so things are looking up.

See you soon
[-] The following 1 user Likes Richie Rich's post:
  • Vinay-RS