Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12G2827 Crankshaft
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie in this forum and I'm from Malta (Europe). I'm looking for a 12G2827 crankshaft from a 1098cc SA Mini.

Thanks in Advance
They seem to retail locally between R1,000 and R1,500 depending on condition - they are no longer a cheap buy.

I remember picking up 10 of these in one go for R1,000 back in the day.
(11-21-2016, 11:18 AM)Sean1380 Wrote: They seem to retail locally between R1,000 and R1,500 depending on condition - they are no longer a cheap buy.

I remember picking up 10 of these in one go for R1,000 back in the day.
Do you know somebody who might have one for sale ?
Quite a lot of them ended up in the UK, for the guys with 1071 motors.

I alone have sent four different shipments to the UK, probably way over 60 cranks.

Have you tried getting hold of Rich at Mini Spares North in the UK ? he should have a few stashed away still.
Actually the shipping is a headache. By the way guys, do you think that if I use one of these crankshafts with a turbocharged motor I will be benefiting over a conventional turbocharged 998cc ? By the way I'm running a GT1549 at the moment and the engine is port injected. I'm aware of the fact that with a square bore engine the power rises at higher RPMs than what I'm used to so probably I would also have to change the turbocharger in order not to run in the inefficient zones.

Another question if I may. I have heard that such crankshafts are much stronger than other A-series cranks. Do you think I would still need to heat treat them for a turbocharged application. Also would cross drilling be recommended ?

Thanks in Advance
Most guys in SA ditched the short stroke crank in favour of the torque that comes with a 1275 .

I picked up 10 cranks in 1999 for R500 !!!!! No-one wanted them.

They are "stronger" only because they main bearing and big end have much more overlap so there is less likelyhood of flexing.
http://samini.co.za/showthread.php?tid=7...light=1098

Barcar maybe have a read through this and then you'll get some more info around the SA motor that you're looking at.