Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difficult starting
Some back ground first. Since I bought the mini (1275) 4 months back it only started after a long struggle. Up to a point that the battery was flat. I (and my mechanic) did the following in the interim: replaced the battery, recondition the starter, installed a electronic ignition, new dizzy and coil, replace the spark plugs, set the timing and filled up the dash pot with oil. Only to find out that a bad earth connection is responsible for the difficult starting.

It is starting much easier but still only after 3 to 4 tries. I pull the choke out (which is working), pump the gas pedal two times and then turn the ignition. Once it is warmed up there is no problem. Is this how it is suppose to be?
Doesn't sound like it should be the case.

Do you have a fuel filter near the carb?
Is the float bowl remaining full when the car stands? There is no leak between the jet and the float bowl?
Hi Adriaan,

Engine starting issues are usually related to issues in compression, fuel supply and mixture, spark quality or timing. Get this right and you sorted.

If I had to venture a guess, I would start off by testing cylinder compression when cold.

Also when starting is the engine turning easily or is it struggling to turn over?
Thanks for the replies.

It sounds if the engine struggle to turn over. I did install a new fuel filter and it is still clean. I am currently using Champion N9YC spark plugs. Will using N7YC spark plugs make any difference?

Is it possible to determine if there is a leak between the jet and float bowl without taking the carburetor apart?

I will take the Mini for a compression test to see if there is a problem and I will also have a look at the timing this weekend.
The leak would essentially drip out the line so it would be wet. May even drip onto the cross member.

You could possibly quite easily open float bowl lid and see if there is fuel in there. That is just 3 screws to remove.
Just another thing to eliminate - check there is an earth strap between the engine and body, makes the starter work much better