Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternator J-bracket
Recently I did the seemingly only available viable option when your alternator has died.
I fitted an aftermarket alternator that brand new is cheaper than having an old Lucas alternator rebuilt go figure.

My question is which other car's alternator fits straight onto the mini that is available locally, in AUS they have the CS130 alternator from a vauxhall or something that is exactly the same and pushes 105 amp.

The bigger more important question is which j-bracket that adjusts the fan belt tension can be fitted.  The one I used in the conversion I performed worked great, only problem is that I have no idea from which car is of. It seems you need a bracket that is 30-50mm longer. I have asked at the local midas etc for a universal j-bracket to no joy.
Own some minis, break them, fix them, improve them, test them to the limit....
You can buy a universal fong kong alternator from any spares shop e.g. Midas, which will fit. They usually have 3 differently positioned holes for the J bracket. The J brackets you can buy from local suppliers e.g. Dez's Minis or Mini workshop. They are laser cut locally. Remember to check the alignment on the belt. There are spacer washers which you can move around on the pulley.
HTH
Spencer has a Bosche one, bought in 1999 and still running on the car.

I did have to make a new bottom bracket though and run a longer belt