The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] file_put_contents(): Only 0 of 13129 bytes written, possibly out of free disk space - Line: 7037 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
[PHP] errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions.php 7037 file_put_contents
/inc/init.php 187 rebuild_settings
/global.php 20 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Golf brake conversion
When I changed to 13" wheels, It gave me the opportunity to do the VW Golf brake mod. The parts are relatively cheap and the braking performance is great. I bought two new disks from Midas, with new brake pads and then two new calipers from Goldwagen. I managed to get hold of two adapter plates from someone who does these conversions for about R400, Drilled and tapped the plates to fit the old drum hub.

Removed the drum brake bits and fitted the new plates.

These had to be spaced by about 8mm to get the disk to run in the centre of the caliper.

I then redrilled the PCD in the new disks wiht slightly smaller holes so the disk would centre better on the Mini studs.

Fitted new calipers, the Mini brake pipes are ok but I think it would be better to get pipes with a banjo type fitting. It would put less strain on the pipes.

Bled the brakes and it was done. You have to space the wheels out by at least 12mm. I used spacers to achieve this. Any less than 12mm and the calipers would foul the wheels. the Mini disk brakes, Cooper and GTS, space the front out by 25mm. So anyhting from 12 - 25 mm will be fine. 

I have the tapered roller bearing fitted to the hubs, the standard ball race won't do. So if you are considering this mod, you have to change to the tapered front wheel bearings.

Hope this helps Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Boyscout's post:
  • admin, MadMacs

Messages In This Thread
Golf brake conversion - by Boyscout - 08-31-2015, 08:47 AM
RE: Golf brake conversion - by Sean1380 - 09-16-2015, 09:41 AM
RE: Golf brake conversion - by MadMacs - 02-27-2021, 04:13 PM