Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mini Pick Up Rebuild - Warning - Not for Sensitive Veiwers
So I managed to sit down, upload a couple of photos of the progress been completed over the last couple of months

Both LHS and RHS front fenders needed attention, the rusted sections were cut out, and new sections fabricated and welded in. Grinded back and primed

[Image: P1090645_zps5sra5vjp.jpg]

[Image: P1090506_zpsjqfga7ky.jpg]

As seen above, a repair panel was fabricated and welded in the LHS fender, as the original metal was wafer thin

The floor has been completed and primed until some more welding has to be done for electrical cables etc.

[Image: P1090644_zpsroaezrzg.jpg]

The welding is a bit rough, but not to worried as seam filler will be used to seal up the gaps and then it will be stonechipped, so will be hidden.

Due to the condition of the front valance, I was on the lookout for a new panel, rather than trying to patch and weld. A new later model panel became available and I managed to get it for a decent price.
The old front valance can be seen in the background of the second photo

[Image: IMG_20160127_212117_zpsne3dy7rs.jpg]

It had been imported many years back, so was stripped down to metal and primed. There was some metal tabs on the inside which were removed due to the different motor being installed.

[Image: IMG_20160213_130132_zpsfhe9pz3u.jpg]

There was a review about a new Sika product in the Veteran Car Club Newsletter that interested me. It was regarding an automotive epoxy from Sika. I picked up a tube with the intention of fitting the front valance with the new epoxy.

[Image: IMG-20160319-WA0028_zpsvd1tc6h5.jpeg]

So the necessary work was done to prep the new panel, the old front valance was removed, and the seams ground back to clean metal and prepped. Lots of clamps and a strong arm, the epoxy was applied and a day later, the new bond was dry enough to clean up with the grinder.

[Image: IMG-20160321-WA0031_zpssobqdrwm.jpeg]

The reason why I went the epoxy route was that the condition of the seams on the fenders was way to thin to try to even spot weld. The epoxy provides strength along the full seam providing superior strength to welding

Very happy with the result, in fact so much so that I used the leftover to attach the passenger side A-Panel.

[Image: IMG-20160320-WA0027_zpsvdgruehr.jpeg]

As mentioned earlier, a day later, clamps come off and can be cleaned up and primed.

[Image: P1090641_zpscaisofmt.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mini Pick Up Rebuild - Warning - Not for Sensitive Veiwers - by Richie Rich - 04-03-2016, 04:09 PM