Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mini Pick Up Rebuild - Warning - Not for Sensitive Veiwers
So, after quite a long break, I am pleased to announce that I have started again. At least its a bit cooler to.

Ground back all the welds along the seams and coated with red oxide.

Removed what was left of the rear valance and the supporting steel. A captive nut was missing for the tailgate hinges, at the same time, the existing captive nuts were drilled out and then tapped to a 10mm metric size for capheads at a later stage.

A new support panel was bent, cut and drilled. Then welded into place.
[Image: P1100294_zpscv4sm9nq.jpg]

After welding into place, red oxide was applied and then some hammerite as this area is not easy to access for painting.
[Image: P1100293_zps0myv6qh0.jpg]

I had brought the rear valance replacement pieces in years ago, and prepped them for installation. In the below pic, the extra holes have been filled with Q Bond, in case theyll be needed later.
[Image: P1100296_zpsqmtp8kvt.jpg]

The panels also recieved a layer of Hammerite and were punched ready for welding. Clamped into place and a bit of tweaking to get the perfect fit before welding.
[Image: P1100291_zpsnjzsavky.jpg]

[Image: P1100292_zps3yr58qjp.jpg]

Hopefully I can do some welding this weekend and get them into place.

In preparation for the passenger side repairs, I have cut out all the rot but now Ill have to make new panels as per the drivers side.
[Image: P1100295_zpsyyfjteke.jpg]

As mentioned, hopefully Ill find the time to do the welding, will keep you posted.

Managed to buy a wavy grille and a rear subframe which are ready to fit, so things are looking up.

See you soon
[-] The following 1 user Likes Richie Rich's post:
  • Vinay-RS

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mini Pick Up Rebuild - Warning - Not for Sensitive Veiwers - by Richie Rich - 06-01-2017, 07:49 PM