Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sumeet's 1975 Model 1098cc mini
Great colour choice Smile
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]

And this how the old chap stayed for 5 years...2009-2014

October 2011 i left Kzn to come up to Johannesburg (the Big Smoke as Sean puts it) and sadly my car stayed behind and was parked off for 2 years as no1 at home wanted to drive it.
It would however be started and idled now and then....
2014 i decided to give it a new paint coat and fix the bumpers that i mistekely cracked here n there before leaving KZN.

so in april 2014 i put in new drum brake wheel bearings (kits from Doug) and ball joint kits from Sean in preparation to drive 646 kms to Pretoria.

the day had come to leave for Pretoria.... everyone said and i quote

" that piece of shit will never make it to Joburg"
 "carry tow rope coz u gonna need to be towed"
 " its going to take you 3 days to reach Pta"

and the best one " just hire a trailer or load it in a car carrier"

So i through caution and all the "advice" to the wind, jumped in the car and headed off.......but not before my mother wanting to "give me and the car a blessing" Big Grin

Marigold Garland for protection (old Indian custom)

First stop - Shell Watson Highway

Marianhill Toll Plaza and a quick check....All good...Grille coming loose so had that tightened.

and only 250kms to Estcourt to pick up my fiance. Spent the night at Estcourt and hit the road at 6 the next morning.
This is an awesome story Bro and it just shows who far your mini has come. the build is looking tops. reading this makes me proud to be a mini owner.
great work bud. Hope this car will be handed down to your kids someday.
Really cool story and a mini with some proper memories made in it. Lovely little car Smile
Thanks Gents for the kind comments....

so onwards and upwards towards the Metropolitan...

Left Estcourt and joined the N3, 40 odd kms on the N3 i pulled into Shell Ultra City to top up the LRP before the long trip aheah into Johannesburg.
Soon after leaving the Ultra city and as the air got thinner due to altitude, the carb (yes Nissan 1400) was getting starved... so pulled over into the emergency lane...fiddled around with the mixture and off we went.

Next stop Engen 1 stop Wilge... just to give the car a rest before the cruise up ahead.

Next stop was lunch in Alberton.....Buup Buuuuup from Wilge Engen on towards De Hoek Toll Plaza and on the way to Denton Road Alberton for a well deserved lunch...arriving at 13:00  Smile

After lunch was the last leg of the trip on to Pretoria 

Arrived in Pretoria around 2:30 and by now i was super ecstatic Big Grin Cool Blush

and this is the Map of the road travelled.

now that my other half was with me after 2 long years......i only had 1 thing on my mind.....parts.....parts.....parts....

But First.... i was on the lookout for mini correct mags....and in July i found my set of Mistrals in Springs for R 2500.00 including tyres.

Piston Ring 20-07-2014

Cars In the Park - Zwartkops - 03-08-2014

Fibreglass Dashboard from the Barn find donor car.

LCB From Donor Car and HS4 from Wian.

Mini's at the Monument - 55th Anniversary 24-08-2014

7.5" cooper S disc brakes Big Grin 06-11-2014.....supplied and fitted by GTSphil (Philip Gates )

Forgot to mention that at Mini's at the Monument i upgraded to Powerspark Electronic ignition - (supplied and installed by GTSphil - Philip Gates)

Club Run PTA 09-11-2014 - Union Buildings

Cullinan Run 22-03-2015

at some stage during this run i lost my front number plate

Met Sean & Pam and collected my spaced drums and GTS studs Big Grin

So... i knew that the rubber donuts were long past their expiry date....so...set of Hi-Lo's, new front donuts (installed by GTSphil)
Only got round to doing the rear (as i thought i was smart by getting second hand donuts - imagine my joy when Philip shot me down in flames) guess it was a learning curve! but we did use the second hand donuts on the rear and saved the new for the front.

Looking Slammed as only the back hi-lo and donuts were done

Hartebeesport Dan and Pretville Town 24-05-2015

Some lovely mods done to your little mini Sumeet. Ride looks good with hi-los all around and definitely the mistrals were a good change.
(03-24-2016, 04:22 PM)Vinay-RS Wrote: Some lovely mods done to your little mini Sumeet. Ride looks good with hi-los all around and definitely the mistrals were a good change.
Thanks Vinay.

once I heard that trail dusters are the incorrect PCD and that they cause the studs to bend and break I was hunting "hi & lo" to get a mini correct mag...(still need to get round to having the centre caps. Milled out - cousin runs a company called Cast Turn services in Benoni)