Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thumz MKIII 4AGE build
I've seen the Nissan R200 VLSD diff fitted to a mini.
Will require everything to be custom made, so will be expensive if you cannot do it yourself.
I'm only here to LOL and +1
Thanks Enzio any idea where I could source one from? Thinking of getting some welding experience soon figured it will help with this and future builds.
Try Nissan scrap yards

R200 came in S13 and S14 200SX, 300ZX and some Skyline models.
I'm only here to LOL and +1
thanks buddy, RWD, FWD or AWD that's my options right now, need to consider performance first.
So a small defeat for me this weekend feel like a blonde asking this Confused but how do I get the drive shafts off, do I have to take the hubs out first? Other wise found less rust than expected so that will be the next mission.  Dodgy
So I have only been successful in taking the drive shafts out of the pot joints (gearbox).

To do this though the motor has to be on it's way out so you can tilt it a little to either side and then wala out they come. Just keep an eye out as those little balls love to fall out and roll into very inconvenient spaces.

Some guys have successfully pulled the pot joints out the gearbox but that takes much more maneuvering as far as I am concerned.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DomMINIque's post:
  • Thumz
Thanks will try that this evening, literally everything is out, just the driveshafts holding the engine down. still very glad about the MINImal rust (pun intended), however found some very disturbing stuff the previous owner did...nothing an angle grinder cant solve Big Grin will post pics soon as the engine is out and car is cleaned, then i will really know where i stand in terms of body work. other updates will be the sub-frame will be ordered probably end of July, holding on the gearbox though until i decide what setup i want. Lastly any good motor shops around Gauteng for me to send the motor in? currently thinking of Rev's Auto in Randburg they have done some good work on cars not sure of anyone else who does the same, let me know?
Then it should be a piece of cake to pull it out. Just takes some maneuvering and wiggling.

Be glad about the minimal rust man!
I am, Just a quick question though Ive recently read on the 16v mini forum that a toyota disc brake upgrade is possible, between the golf disc brake and toyota which one works better and is relatively easier to fit, also would all round discs be a problem, just a thought because with all the extra power I will need the extra braking power too.
So I may be a bit out of my depth here but one of the more experienced guys will come along and correct any errors I may have made.

1. Don't bother with rear disk brakes. Apparently getting the bias correct is a nightmare. If it isn't correct and you brake hard the rear ends up overtaking the front and you end up facing the wrong direction.

2. Toyota vs golf - in SA I think you are probably better off with the golf conversion from a cost perspective as I think the golf parts are cheaper compared to toyota.
The adapter plates are readily available from a guy in JHB and then you can simply get yourself the remaining parts as and when it suits you. (He does also sell the complete kit)
I have heard of someone using toyota tazz brake parts but more than that I am not sure.

I have no idea if the adapter plates for the tazz and golf conversion are the same but I wouldn't think so.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DomMINIque's post:
  • gweir