Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
68 Wolseley 1000
Very nice car, awesome!
Another update.

Since the car has been at home I have driven it very little as I wanted to get it ready for road worthy but every time I drove the car  I have found that the was a bit of a knock every time I pull away.
So it was time to open up the bonnet to investigate what was the cause. Well let me say something....if guys thought working under a Mini's bonnet was hard try a Wolseley....the grill is all was in the way. Like Sean said it is a suicide bonnet and I have to agree with him.

Getting back to what was causing the knock i found that the top steady was the problem. The Rubbers no longer were doing the job so I got that replaced. I also decided to do a service to the car and get the engine washed as I would need to do it before I took it for Road worthy. 

Well this is how the top steady looked like:

[Image: 20160418_182653_zpskr5prb40.jpg]

[Image: 20160418_182708_zpsujjwvyro.jpg]

As can be seen lots of oil all over the place:

[Image: 20160418_182643_zps3jvcxmjj.jpg]

As I mentioned above I then did a service well and then decided to wash the engine and I was hoping to get a better result but landed with almost the same. Sad Sad Sad

This is what it looked like before the engine wash:

[Image: 20160419_063759_zpst1mk1s53.jpg]

[Image: 20160419_063754_zpskx0tbbnb.jpg]

And this is afterwards:

[Image: 20160420_070600_zpsmuknfc67.jpg][Image: 20160420_070606_zps0k8rzia5.jpg]

During the service I found that the oil and air filter where the incorrect items for the car so I sourced the correct parts and nice fresh oil.

Took it for a good run to Cars and Coffee for the first time and during the ride I found that the electric petrol pump started to give me so issues and at the end of the day I landed with Tim towing me with his mini. I should have taken a pictures of that. Since then the petrol pump has been replaced as well.

I was still not happy how the car was riding so I decided to ket a Kit from Sean and replace all the rubbers on the lower control arms as they need replacing and I knew the car would not go through the road worthy if I had left it.

So the next step took place. Jacked the car up, removed the wheels and replaced the rubbers. what i did find out was that the hydrolastic suspension is not the same as the dry one. I almost thought I would not get the car jacked up. It was very interesting but I got the wheels off.
I also didnt has the stands that high so that also contributed to it.

[Image: 20160424_131758_zpsrdnbnmmh.jpg]

[Image: 20160424_132135_zpswq9ij569.jpg]

[Image: 20160424_132144_zps1gkevqpl.jpg]

So got down to business and removed all the rubbers but before I did so here are the pictures how the rubbers looked like.

[Image: 20160424_132743_zpsjztsoo3k.jpg]

[Image: 20160424_132757_zpsnfhgvwg8.jpg]

Totally shot:

[Image: 20160424_133016_zpsaea2ebki.jpg]

[Image: 20160424_133508_zps2yz7yovf.jpg]

After all that work done a test drive and what a difference did all that make to the car. I am so happy with the results.

Then is was a trip to the car wash to get the bottom of the engine and the under carriage washed so that i could take the car to the tests:

[Image: 20160424_153314_zpsag7na2y2.jpg]

After the wash I got myself under the car to see the results and I found the battery cable was damage and it was arcing against the body of the car. So I got that replaced and took the car to the test.....to my amazement the car passed first time with one recommendation that I should look at and that was the battery box as it has two small rust hole......for a car from 1968 I am happy with that.
The guy that did the test to the car said i should fiber glass it....he is mad I will get it fixed soon by replacing the battery box. Thats something for the near future to do list.

Now I can officially say that the car is mine and on my name. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Minatic

Very very very nice indeed.

Love the overall look etc.
Please just do me one favour.......

Swap the cooling fan around so that is FACES correctly.
Otherwise again very nice indeed.
Own some minis, break them, fix them, improve them, test them to the limit....
(05-03-2016, 07:36 PM)GTSPhil Wrote: Swap the cooling fan around so that is FACES correctly.

Good eye!

Love this little car. Stunning. Nothing wrong with that engine either.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
(05-03-2016, 07:36 PM)GTSPhil Wrote: Minatic

Very very very nice indeed.

Love the overall look etc.
Please just do me one favour.......

Swap the cooling fan around so that is FACES correctly.

Well spotted....I forgot about mentioning that. I have also found that the top radiator inlet has also a crack in it which is causing the rust marks.

I just wanted to get the car through the test and on my name. Now all the things that need to be fixed and changed will start.

I want to pull the radiator out get if flushed and fixed. I will need to flush the whole water system out as there is no anti-freeze in at all.
While rad is out I will fix the direction of the Fan. I will also need to check the fan pulley as it has a wobble. Something is not right there.
this must have happened when the water pump was replaced at some stage.  

More progress for the future.
Hi Minatic

I have only this past weekend again came across a situation where a radiator of a client's car was sent into a reputable radiator place to have it flushed and fixed. Only to find the car kept on overheating, upon further inspection I found the tubes of the radiator to be blocked. After agreeing on the fitment of a new radiator, the problem was solved.

Good luck with the rest of the fixing.
Own some minis, break them, fix them, improve them, test them to the limit....
(05-04-2016, 05:53 AM)GTSPhil Wrote: Hi Minatic

I have only this past weekend again came across a situation where a radiator of a client's car was sent into a reputable radiator place to have it flushed and fixed.  Only to find the car kept on overheating, upon further inspection I found the tubes of the radiator to be blocked.  After agreeing on the fitment of a new radiator, the problem was solved.

Good luck with the rest of the fixing.

Hi GTSPhil,

Thanks so much for you advice. You are not the first person that has mentioned this. I had a similar incident where one of the tubes on the core actually tore open after it had been sent in for repair. Took it back and they would not fix it at their cost even though it was still in warantee. They wanted me to buy a new one at a crazy price. I paid for the first repair R695 at Silverton Radiators and when I took it to another Radiator shop it cost me R350 for what you can say brand new radiator. They replaced the core with a brand new one just use my tanks. We are talking about a good 12 years now and that radiator is still 100% in my Clubman.

Because of the service I got from Silverton Radiators I will never use them again. I will have to see who I can use now.
(05-03-2016, 04:36 PM)minatic Wrote: As can be seen lots of oil all over the place:

If that's what you call lots of oil, you've never seen my engine...
Glad it's in your name and that you're getting the little niggles sorted out.
the little oil pressure pipe may have a pin hole
(05-04-2016, 02:44 PM)Colin Wrote:
(05-03-2016, 04:36 PM)minatic Wrote: As can be seen lots of oil all over the place:

If that's what you call lots of oil, you've never seen my engine...
Glad it's in your name and that you're getting the little niggles sorted out.

To me thats lots of oil. I don't like having oil all over the place. All my other cars are clean and I will get this one right as well

(05-04-2016, 03:04 PM)Sean1380 Wrote: the little oil pressure pipe may have a pin hole

Sean thanks for the tip. I must actually check that.  You could be right.

Colin, just to give you an idea how I like to keep my engine bays on my other cars.
Even my father-in-law says I am a pain when it come to cars. I don't know if that's good thing.

These are my daily drivers.

This is the Polo's engine bay. The car is almost 10 years old:

[Image: IMG-20160327-WA0051_zpsc6ttzw6e.jpg]

This is the Corrola's engine bay. And this car is 20 years old:

[Image: IMG-20160327-WA0053_zpsmotyuepc.jpg]

And this is my Mini Bakkie's engine bay. 

[Image: 20141017_133707_zpsiiuejdhw.jpg]

I have got a lot of work ahead to get the Wolseley's engine bay to the same standards.