Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mighty Car Mods Mini
Yeah so I watched

It seems the same issues with boost they are also facing, like Detonation and pinging.

They gone use E85 fuel with this setup to help it out on cooling.

I think if we do a moderate boost and a double gasket to help with compression drop it could work.

What compression does a mini have in std form.

I also don't think a mini supercharger is boosting to high maybe only .4 to .6 bar? This wont be to hectic.

I also think this can be a cheaper option than a turbo as that requires more mods like manifolds ect.

What do u guys think?
Compression on a mini depends on what motor you looking at. I think the SA 1100 has an 8.1 compression ratio which isn't very high.

Also remember that supercharger they are using is actually from a Bini (BMW Mini) that has been adapted for classic mini application, it comes in kit form.

Cheaper I do not know as exchange rate comes into play for us. However I would say it is probably a little easier due to the fact that there is not as much "extras" needed to fit into the engine bay.
It's definitely a lot cheaper to do a low boost turbo setup than what it is to do a supercharger setup, I've personally been contemplating doing this to my spare GTS motor using a mix of parts from the SA 1100 big bore motor and my GTS motor to build up a moderate boost system ranging from 0.5-0.8bar boost.
DodgyFOR LITTLE OLD LADIES IT AIN'TTongue
1979 GTS
The low compression of the 1100 is tempting.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
It's been very tempting to me as well, especially taking into consideration the thickness of the 1100(BB) piston crown.
1979 GTS
Miniac why is it cheaper? Simply because the turbo stuff can be sourced locally?

Or because you've got all the parts lying in your garage? Wink
I've got some of the parts already, but it's more a case of ease of accessibility. A supercharger setup would require a manifold to be made up just the same way that you'd need one for a turbo setup but the supercharger would also require an additional pulley to be made up as well to strap on alongside the crank pulley plus with a turbo setup there is a better chance of being able to use an intercooler whereas the supercharger would require a fair bit more engineering to run one in the circuit as well.
1979 GTS
YEah miniac why is it cheaper to turbo?

I just think that there are a lot of people selling mini superchargers and merc c32 superchargers.

Yes there will be mods but what I was thinking is. Instead of modding the supercharger why not do a custom intake mani for the supercharger and have injectors fitted to that intake mani.

This will than be merged with an aftermarket management system.

Or just have the custom intake mani with a carb feeding through the supercharger? This app has been done with a turbo. And it seems they also want fuel to go through the supercharger on that mini.

cheers
It all comes down to personal preference, a supercharger will never give you the sort of gains that a turbo would give you due to their limitations, in terms of the superchargers being locally available, the question is at what price and in the event of going fuel injected with aftermarket management you'll also now need a crank sensor pickup to be made up as well also bearing in mind that the A series motor has a siamesed port layout for cylinder 1-2 and 3-4, this would also need to be taken into account when mapping and setting up injection timing.
1979 GTS