Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best oil for the A-Series
The effects of cam wear on flat tappet engines using oil with to low levels of ZDDP is well documented on the interweb. I prefer using oil with high levels of ZDDP such as the Delo 400. Besides it is not like it is expensive. https://www.makro.co.za/diy/caltex-5l-motor-oil-2874EA
R249 for 5l. Gtx is usually around R200 per 5l and so is Shell.

But you can put anything you like Smile
Yeh but from what i can take out of this, still stick with oil with decent ZDDP levels
I agree with Boyscout on this one.
Hi All,

I have seeked the advice of a tribologist and asked all the questions that were asked in this thread. As posted earlier in this thread I had a lot of faith in Delo 400 due to its high levels of ZDDP and good results reported by the 4x4 community with this oil. After I overhauled my Mini's gearbox I started using Delo 400 but found that it was quite noisy and the oil pressure dropped to 10PSI (0,5Bar) at idle when hot.

I have always used Castrol GTX 20W50 in the past so I did a search on the specs of this oil. I came across this blog https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/ He tested over a 100 different oils and graded them according to its protection ability etc. I was surprised to see that Castrol GTX 20W50 rated higher than many synthetic oils as far as film strength and protection is concerned, despite the fact that it has a relatively low ZDDP concentration. you can read my questions and RAT's reply here https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/about/ at the bottom of the page.

So to summarize:
1) IMHO Castrol GTX 20W50 is the best oil for the A series, regardless what some skeptics and naysayers with anecdotal evidence say. Offers remarkable protection for the A series despite it's relatively low price.
2) You need an oil with at least a 50 hot viscosity rating, It would be great if you can find and oil with a low W rating such as 5 or 10W however in our climate the 20W does not provide too much of an issue when cold.
3) We do not need to be concerned with the friction modifiers and polymers in the oil being damaged by oil shear in the gearbox as modern oils do not suffer from this condition and subsequent sludge anymore as long as oil change intervals are not exceeded.
4) Keep oil changes to the prescribed 5000 miles (8000 km's). Changing at 5000km's is good insurance especially if you don't drive that often.

Read the blog and you will have a far greater understanding of lubrication and the test results and see that good old GTX is a clear choice for the classic Mini A-series.

Regards
Deon
[-] The following 1 user Likes Boyscout's post:
  • Jared Mk3
Thank you for the effort put into this Smile
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
Has your gearbox noise subsided?
Oil pressure back up now?
Yes. Idle pressure. Just under 2 Bar. Gearbox much quieter.
I am using the Millers Classic Mini Oil 20W50 which has all additives in the engine and gearbox needs. We have temperatures between +35 (on autobahn sometimes 38-40 Celsius) and -25/30 Celsius in Winter. Living in the mountains the winter can be really hard. I use Millers all year round. In case of need on a trip I used also Harley Davidson oil which is next o Millers and has a very good shear value.
Regards  Bill  1.3 SPI  1993
(09-04-2016, 10:46 AM)Alpenflitzer Wrote: I am using the Millers Classic Mini Oil 20W50 which has all additives in the engine and gearbox needs. We have temperatures between +35 (on autobahn sometimes 38-40 Celsius) and  -25/30 Celsius in Winter. Living in the mountains the winter can be really hard. I use Millers all year round.  In case of need on a trip I used also Harley Davidson oil which is next o Millers and has a very good shear value.
API Rating SB 
?
Millers classic Mini oil API SF CD