Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tim's Mini GTS Race Car
That's blind, they build you a safety device and use unsafe anchoring materials to fit it. I'll obviously be going to someone else for my halfcage now.
DodgyFOR LITTLE OLD LADIES IT AIN'TTongue
1979 GTS
Here is a link to the first time I ever drove the car around the neighborhood after bleeding the brakes and clutch. Obviously the steering wheel needs alignment and the brakes have not been bedded so I took it very easy. Its also idling too high and the throttle is sticking slightly. Even had some cheers of joy while driving my car for the first time since I got it! No exhaust either......  Big Grin

(02-11-2016, 11:36 PM)MiniGTS Wrote: Here is a link to the first time I ever drove the car around the neighborhood after bleeding the brakes and clutch. Obviously the steering wheel needs alignment and the brakes have not been bedded so I took it very easy. Its also idling too high and the throttle is sticking slightly. Even had some cheers of joy while driving my car for the first time since I got it! No exhaust either......  Big Grin
https://youtu.be/Go1-PKS1N3I

Congratulations!! That's a big day Big Grin Sometimes you wonder if it will ever happen... Car looks great!
Thanks u09521! 

I went and bought some Nissan 1400 indicators on Deon's recommendation and fitted them. Initially I was going to cut out some sections around the current indicator hole to fit the Nissan indicators but I decided against cutting the car that much so instead I mounted the lamp housing behind the valance. I made a cover plate from some polycarbonate I had lying around and I think it worked out pretty well. I did modify the lenses by grinding the lip around the edge off and painting it silver. I used the existing park light hole to mount the new light housing using an o-ring to hold it in place.
[Image: 2016-02-21%2011.44.28.jpg]
[Image: 2016-02-21%2012.46.56.jpg]
[Image: 2016-02-21%2013.00.55.jpg]
[Image: 2016-02-21%2013.04.39.jpg]

I also bought some Golf 1 headlights and fitted those as I wanted new lights but didn't want to pay a fortune. I did it the same way as the indicators and put the mount plate behind the existing headlight hole so that I didnt have to cut too much of the car. I ended up only having to cut out 3 small sections and it mounts up great. The lights is about 4mm further in towards the car but it helps because I dont have to modify the headlight ring as a result as the golf light is slightly larger in diameter.
[Image: 2016-02-21%2014.16.19.jpg]
[Image: 2016-02-21%2014.25.45.jpg]
[Image: 2016-02-21%2016.13.14.jpg]
Also fixed up and painted the grille, it was in a bad state
[Image: 2016-02-21%2013.06.13.jpg]
Nicely done!!
Very neatly done Tim, do you by any chance have a full frontal pic with both the indicators and headlights fitted?
DodgyFOR LITTLE OLD LADIES IT AIN'TTongue
1979 GTS
Wow, that grille really looks tops. Great job refurbishing it. Top work on the indicators too. I must admit they really look like they belong there.
(02-22-2016, 12:34 PM)Miniac Wrote: Very neatly done Tim, do you by any chance have a full frontal pic with both the indicators and headlights fitted?

I didn't manage to finish the lights but as soon as I do ill post a pic.

Thanks for the kind words guys. In total the lights and indicators cost me R420 which I think is pretty decent. I got some extra bits from work today so I should be able to finish the lights off this week. Got some relays to wire in for the headlights as extra protection as well as some new headlight plugs and original Toyota globes  Big Grin

[Image: 2016-02-22%2018.52.16.jpg]
Looking great! Things are coming along nicely. Now keep at it and don't loose the momentum.
Great work.

Those 1400 indicators are going to become a common mod/fix
I'm only here to LOL and +1