Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Old skool Rover Sport
2nd time round on this build thread but I would like to keep a detailed record so here we go!

It all started many years ago when I was young and still had hair. Some would argue a much better attitude as well!! [Image: biggrin.png] 

I was in my second year studying architecture in Pretoria and joined what became two very good friends in a lift club to and from university. Long story short; Dalmain had a mk1 998 and the rest is history. I bought and restored a mk2 998 Cooper on a student budget - yes took me even longer than my current Rover!

Fast forward a couple of years and I return from the Middle East and Europe with a better half (much worse half she turned out to be but that is entirely another story). Twin boys were born; some of you know Jared and that spelt the end of the Mini. Can't have twins and man toys, so she said.

Fast forward once more and Jared is 14 years old; master of the iPad, Ipod, Xbox etc, but did not have a clue how to fasten or loosen a bolt, so we bought a Mini!!

It's a joint project, sort of, creating a Rover Mini Sport look alike but with all old skool mechanics under the bonnet consisting of;

1275 GTS engine, lightened, balanced, center main strap, 649 cam (original type), flowed and ported big valve 12G940 head, Hif44 carb.

[Image: 2_zpsqqezcyzf.jpg]

[Image: 1_zpsm2hs4nzx.jpg]

[Image: 3_zpsndv5chze.jpg]

[Image: 5._zpsxouvkmes.jpg]
To start of this project we secured a 1275 GTS engine from Brandon in Woodstock and immediately set about stripping for rebuild. We struck gold on this occasion with a never before opened GTS engine!

[Image: 1_zpsy1ksxm0c.jpg]

[Image: 3_zpspm1jwcmt.jpg]

[Image: DSCF4618_zpsbleojlbb.jpg]

[Image: DSCF4612_zpsx654rurt.jpg]

First port of call was the head. Obviously a big valve double valve spring 12G940 in generally a very good condition. It was sent away to NuPower Engineering in Montague Gardens. Valve guides replaced, new valve stem seals, pressure test and slight skim for trueness and we were good as new.

[Image: 9_zpsahiwuqzw.jpg]

[Image: 7_zps3w5x3qfm.jpg]

[Image: DSCF4784_zpsiardzdik.jpg]

[Image: 12_zpsjtrw4n5x.jpg]

[Image: 10_zps8b9nmk4z.jpg]
Good to have you and you Rover replica back with us Francois. This was quite an epic build to begin with so it'll be interesting to follow how it all unfolds.
DodgyFOR LITTLE OLD LADIES IT AIN'TTongue
1979 GTS
My first Mini engine build in 20 years with the aid of two Haynes manuals - 100% cleanliness and loads of patience.
  • Standard GTS block taken to 20 thou oversize with Leyland pistons and Hastings rings,
  • New welsh plugs,
  • New cam bearings,
  • Standard crankshaft retained with both big end and main journals polished,
  • Old profile 649 camshaft,
  • Crankshaft assembly balanced
  • Center main strap to keep it together
[Image: 13_zpsfq4d7nta.jpg]

[Image: 15_zpsjpq7cnjo.jpg]

[Image: 14_zpsww3j5dlo.jpg]

[Image: 16_zpsi2rzuhvu.jpg]

[Image: 21_zpsyp2j1n4d.jpg]

[Image: 25_zpsdpuexnkx.jpg]

[Image: 19_zpsjwqxxiyt.jpg]

[Image: 18_zpsggtrzspb.jpg]

[Image: 17_zpsuxgfabcb.jpg]

[Image: 26_zps8l2dyn5t.jpg]
"100% cleanliness and loads of patients."

Could have typed it better but could not have said any better!
Minis demand lots of it!

Loving the work on the ports. Overall Top work!
(03-04-2016, 06:47 AM)JAYO Wrote: "100% cleanliness and loads of patients."

Could have typed it better but could not have said any better!
Minis demand lots of it!

Loving the work on the ports. Overall Top work!

The patients were those that dared to interrupt me!!

649 camshaft with standard GTS duplex timing gear set.

[Image: 24_zpsq0yk7ogu.jpg]

[Image: 23_zpslgrgnnqo.jpg]

[Image: 28_zps46l0okhe.jpg]

[Image: DSCF4759_zpsshmzmmrj.jpg]
Head completed and ready for fitment;

[Image: DSCF4739_zpslut368w6.jpg]

[Image: DSCF4741_zpsrzweop2a.jpg]

[Image: DSCF4740_zpsyqu0pdns.jpg]

Clutch assembly;

Backing plate lightened, both faces skimmed with new clutch kit from Sport Car Center.

[Image: DSCF4752_zpsdgn9vgzw.jpg]

[Image: DSCF4754_zpsnbkvi1yw.jpg]

[Image: DSCF4750_zps1i3qbaeh.jpg]

Lucas 45D distributor rebuilt.

[Image: DSCF4747_zpsztgpolf8.jpg]

[Image: DSCF4749_zpsgwxw3zdn.jpg]

Glad to be able to catch up with this build again Smile
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
(03-04-2016, 09:08 AM)Jared Mk3 Wrote: Glad to be able to catch up with this build again Smile

Hi Jared! So much to post and Photobucket is driving me insane!!

Love your dad's GT.

Finding a half decent Mini at the coast is challenging to say the least. Then try and find one that has papers and is on the road - good luck with that! We came across our Mini on Gumtree. Advertised in Kuilsriver, a non runner but it seemed solid enough, had papers and was licensed - so we bought it.

[Image: DSCF4762_zpsajckbvme.jpg]

[Image: DSCF4761_zpsydgwshgh.jpg]

[Image: DSCF4765_zpsmxtegawl.jpg]

[Image: DSCF4764_zpsu3jkrl5p.jpg]

[Image: DSCF4763_zpsnd1u1hof.jpg]
Francois was that the starting point for the rover sport build?! Wow, you have come a long way. I absolutely love the attention to detail on all of your builds. Anyone building a mini should strive for similar levels of quality.