Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clubman reincarnated
I then refurbished some 10 x 5 inch weller/trial duster type wheels.

I then bought some false leather and made a proper bottom and middle dash with some board at the back and wood was cut to fill the hole at the bottom left of the dash.

Own some minis, break them, fix them, improve them, test them to the limit....
Nice work, A pity about the crap you experienced. I doubt that it was ridden too hard. That failure is directly attributable to the fuel in the oil. I know it is a very contentious issue but I don't prescribe to "nursing" an engine when new. Had a few issues on race car engines that used oil because it was not run in properly. I prescribe to this method http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm. My own Mini was run in using this method and it has now done more than two years of daily use without any issues.

What I don't get is why people would pay a load of money to have an engine re-built and then skimp on ancillaries such as the oil pump, water pump or fuel pump. In the greater scheme of things these are low cost items that can cause high cost damage.

Well at least you now have a very nice 1275 Smile
Where did u find old spec 4 ring pistons like that Phil ?

Not that easy to find these days.
Hi Sean

Those are brand new County 1275 40 thou pistons was still sealed in the bags from the factory when I got them and they are supplied with new grant rings. Those markings are surface rust it seems.
When I overhauled the engine in my Mini, I could get the County pistons for cheaper than the Nural/Hepolite ones from Sportscar Centre.
Do you always use Grant rings? I've never used them but heard they not very good. What is your experience with them?
Hi Dion

First things first, this is a relatively stock standard engine, no mods to the head or valves, standard camshaft and flywheel was just cut clean and balanced. So for this application the County pistons and Grant rings are fine. I am speaking under correction, but I must have built about 8 engines now with Grant rings and have not had a problem yet.

Naturally on my GTS I am running AE Hepolite pistons with the oil holes and not grooves and proper Goetze rings.

When a engine refresh is done and the pistons are not being replaced, I have even used FPR rings, but same as above not for modified engine use, up to so far. What the local suppliers carry and what I can get on short notice also play a role obviously.

I think the bottom line is many people just worry about the thickness of the rings from top to bottom and not also the thickness from inside to the outside. I have found various sizes and always ensure they are correct size from inside out.
Congratulations on your purchase.

I think it secretly wanted to be a 1275 from the getgo.

Glad you were able to source a crank to expedite the move to the dark side.

Those wellers will give this clubby a nice stance. I really like how they sit out. I miss my set..
Bit of an update.

I drove the car during the rain last week on different days.
I did however seal the dizzy off with some insulation tape, as I have not yet converted to electronic dizzy.

This weekend I put about 400kms on the car with all my travels. Which included going on the British day run and then a trip to midrand and finally a trip to PTA East.
So the car is loosening up and the pistons and rings are settling nicely, starting to drive very very well indeed.

At british day I had my for sale sign on as the car is still for sale, same old story. Uninformed people make silly offers from as low as R5000 to the average "I'll give you R20 000 for this mini". Me being me, I start to give the price breakdown of engine, gearbox, suspension and brakes replacement etc.

So now the bottom line as we all know is that the car is worth as much as the new owner is willing to pay. It just amazes me that although you give a thorough price breakdown and a total sum to rebuild people still want a bargain. Okay great granted start to negotiate in an acceptable manner, but do not just try your luck with silly low offers.

Last week I had to replace the LH front wheel bearing and while I was at it, the replacement wheel bearing was a taper roller item. I know that is overkill for a drum brake setup, but I had the bearing kit in stock.

I also fitted two wipers to the car as the current one was a bit lacking. Next up I had one inner window moulding so I fitted that to the driver side door. I greased the window sliders and door lock assembly also.

The car is for sale at R50 000 neg. Recently I acquired the papers and it is a 1981 model now 1275 Clubman.

All of the following have been replaced.

Set of pistons 1098 30thou Used 1
Used 1098 Crank 1
Main bearing set 1
Big end bearing set 1
Thrust washers 1
Cam bush set 1
Head stud washer 9
1275 Head gasket set 1
Used Exhaust valve 2
Inlet valve 2
Gearbox gasket set 1
Flywheel oil seal 1
Oil seal timing cover 1
Oil seal output shaft 2
Timing cover gasket 1
Cam follower set 1
Lock washer camshaft 1
Lock washer flywheel 1
5L of oil 1
Oil filter 1
Spark plugs 4
Air filter 1
Clutch kit 1
Clutch plunger 1
Clutch push rod 1
Total 9996,00
Anchor clutch spring 1
Clutch plunger stop 1
Clevis pin - clutch arm 1
Clevis pin - pushrod 1
Clutch arm - standard 1
Stud Manifold to head 6
Washer manifold 4
Stud thermostat 3
Bush engine steady 12
Engine mounting 2
Standard oil pump 1
Timing chain simplex 1
Timing chain slipper 1
Standard water pump 1
Thermostat 1
Radiator bottom hose 1
Bypass hose 1
Gaiter kit inner pot joint 2
CV Boot outer drum brakes 1
Outer CV Joint Drum 1
Lower control arm bush 4
Tie bar bush 4
Wheel bearing kit front 3
Balljoint Set 2
Rubber cones 2
Front shock absorber set 1
Set of adjustable hi-los 1
Knuckle joint 2
Service kit for HS4 carb 1
Machining flywheel and backplate 1
Anti-leak stop kit 1
Rubber mounting rod type 2
Gear change extention rod eye 1
Roll pin 2
Steady shaft bush 1
Fitting custom bush for rod housing 1
Steering rack 1
Slave cylinder twin leading shoe 4
Slave cylinder 1/2 bore rear 2
Brake drum 4
Set of front brake shoes 1
Set of rear brake shoes 1
Front brake flexible hose drum 2
Used top arm 1
Used Flywheel housing cover 1
Mech Water temp gauge 1
Adapter for mech temp gauge 1
Coil 1
Window winder handle 2
Window winder handle bezel 2
Door handle internal 1
Multi-function switch 76 on 1
Standard black wheel arch kit 1
Finisher - Plastichrome 2
Rear window rubber 1
Labour 50 hours

That was with the first rebuild while still 1098, then I went 1275 so the list continues:

Used 1275 crank 1
New 40 thou 1275 pistons and rings 1
Engineering again.
Mains bearing set 1
Big eng bearing set 1
Headgasket 1275 1
Gearbox gaskets 1
Inlet/exhaust gasket 1
New radiator MS high flow 1
Electric fuel pump 1
Blanking plate for mech fuel pump 1
Inner Seal kit drop glass half a set 1
Labour 20 hours

So if you look at what you get for the price, I think it is a fair deal.
Contact me on 0727587740
The car is in PTA and I have the papers and the license is up to date.
That is a good price, considering what you spent on it, you are probably not even breaking even. Who ever buys it is getting a good as new car.