Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clubman reincarnated
The sad reality is, a car is never worth the sum of its parts.

Being a car enthusiast is very rarely a profitable experience.
I'm only here to LOL and +1
So the timing cover backplate broke where the alternator adjuster fits, WTF!!!!!!

I was thinking of doing a McGuyver move just to fix it, but sanity prevailed so yesterday I took the engine out (did not have to naturally) to fix the problem and give the engine bay some TLC, since the car now belongs to me I guess I can do what I want to it now.  No proper offers have been made to buy the car, so down the rabbit hole we go....

I started with this

Seems the car was blue before in its life probably original colour then red and now white.

The wiring and sub-frame made it difficult to sand the paint so I removed it.

My final work for today before I was stopped due to making too much noise with the angle grinder......

Own some minis, break them, fix them, improve them, test them to the limit....
[-] The following 1 user Likes GTSPhil's post:
  • Jared Mk3
Looking good Philip!
These cars can really keep us busy. Sometimes it's enjoyable and sometimes not so much. Good work there!
Hi Tim

Yes yesterday I spent 5 hours with the help of a friend to prep the area further for primer.

The front valance was straightened out and the inner aprons on the left and right.

Then the DA sander's sand paper got clogged with some or other wax that was put on the car at some point, so we could not use it to sand the rest.  So I had to wire wheel the whole area with my angle grinder and wire wheel, that took some time.

Finally the primer went on, have been left since last night will spray the white later today after the primer has cured some and have been flatted out again.

Some pics:

[-] The following 1 user Likes GTSPhil's post:
  • Vinay-RS
Wow that is some amazing body work. The front end is looking perfect.
A straight valance makes such a difference.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
Thanks Vinay and Jared

A Guru is doing most of the work as I am just the tool boy and do the donkey work on this sprayjob.

So some more masking after fixing the primer.  

This really irritated me on the car from day one, because it was done like it's behind, now will be much better.

Looking good Philip
Looking good Philip. Are you keeping the stripes?