Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake booster
Hi Guys, 

I have heard that 7.5" discs are useless without a booster. So I was wondering how easy it would be to find a booster, what it would cost for a working example and whether it is actually necessary.

Thanks,
Vinay
I think it comes down to personal preference. The booster doesn't add any braking force, it just makes the pedal easier to press i.e. takes the strain out of pressing it. I know on my brother's old 16V that the 7.5s were perfectly fine with no booster, it just took a little added pressure.

That's how I see it. Other guys may say differently.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
And the other info? Prices and availability?
Well, which booster are you looking at getting?
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
One that would work? Honestly not too sure what would be correct. Since strictly speaking discs are a mod and I have no idea whether they would be mkI/II S or GT or GTS brakes. I figure a GTS booster would be suitable and probably cheapest.
S, GT and GTS 7.5" disc brakes are the same. Your brake master is the split one isn't it?
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
It is the long one, yeah.
What I'd do is fit the discs and see what you think first, before committing to a booster. See if you can locate one in the meantime, fit and see if the discs are right for you and then consider fitting one.

More often than not there's a lot of hearsay about conversions and modifications, but the best way to try it is to see for yourself I suppose.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jared Mk3's post:
  • Vinay-RS
And I am guessing the MC is wrong for a brake booster?
I'm not so clued up on those split MC. I like the simplicity of the single line system with a rear limiter valve.

If you could find one, I suppose you could use the combined MC and booster like the later Minis had.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread