Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightened flywheel
I wanted to get some thoughts/ experience on whether a lightened steel flywheel is a worthwhile investment for a fast road/ occasional track day mini.

I like the idea of the improved acceleration which a lightened flywheel is said to give but on the overseas forums the jury seems to be out on whether this is a worthwhile upgrade for a mini to be mainly used on the road.

I have a 1098 and am getting parts together to build a 1330 with a 1275 crank.

I have a mini 998 flywheel as I've heard the standard weight is less than that of the 1098 and I've heard that the cast iron flywheel can be lightened slightly but can be risky business.

The question that follows on is, if going for lightened steel flywheel, is it necessary to upgrade other components at the same time (clutch, diaphragm, back plate) or could one just get the lightened flywheel and use the existing other components on my car.

Any thoughts/ experience wold be greatly appreciated.
I'd just put the 998 flywheel in. Lighter than the big bore items and cheap to obtain as well. An equivalent steel item is going to cost you a lot of money.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
As above, use the 998 flywheel.

Do not lighten the cast flywheel a lot, this poses a serious safety risk, as the ,material is not strong enough if lightened excessively and it can fly apart at high rpm - this can potentially be lethal to the driver.
I'm only here to LOL and +1
i have a 998 flywheel on my 1380