The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] file_put_contents(): Only 0 of 13129 bytes written, possibly out of free disk space - Line: 7037 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
[PHP] errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions.php 7037 file_put_contents
/inc/init.php 187 rebuild_settings
/global.php 20 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mini Cooling
Hey all

i'm just curious, when i had my mini she always an super hot. can a intercooler/oil cooler maybe be used like a second radiator and mounted in the front of the car? so when driving on the highway it has more efficient cooling? then maybe remove the engine fan and fit an electric fan in its place?  i heard doing that also gice you a very little more power.

Any thoughts?
You can fit a heater matrix to the front as a auxiliary radiator. Works well.
Replacing the mechanical fan with a electrical fan doesn't work.

You can add a electrical fan on a proper fan switch that kicks in a 76'C. That works.

Make sure that your radiator is clean and in good working order. Fit a thermostat that opens at 74'C. And make sure your mechanical fan is spaced correctly and that it is fitted in the correct direction.
I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.
When does your Mini overheat?
Start stop traffic when there is no airflow through the grill?
The temp should be fine if driving at reasonable speed on highways
[-] The following 1 user Likes minitim's post:
  • Willy
I found that the new imported 3 core radiators available are not up to the task of keeping a 1275 cool. they do not have the same amount of fins per inch as the originals. Also the three cores are off-set so instead of air moving efficiently through the radiator, it tends to be turbulent inside the radiator. I had to fit a heater matrix to get the cooling under control. An electric fan on the fender side does help to keep the temps down when stationary.

If you need to replace the radiator, save up and buy a proper two core. pricey though. at the moment around R4k with the Rand/Pound
In light of my post above, I decided to have my radiator re-cored. This gave me the opportunity to have the core of my choice fitted. The cheap radiator as mentioned, has what is called "flat fins" and only about 9 fins per inch. It also has three small cores which are offset and cause a lot of turbulence inside the radiator, totally inadequate for anything larger than a 998. So I opted for a three core, inline with the more modern v-fin arrangement.

This is now a similar configuration as this http://www.minispares.com/product/classic/ARP1106.aspx 

I have fitted an 88deg thermostat as well as it tends to overcool with the 76deg thermostat. Gets up to temp in good time and at least for now it seems rock steady at just over 90 deg. When switched off the temp gauge (mechanical) rises to about 98deg but drops quickly back to 90 when started again. Still have to see how the performance is in summer and traffic. No electrical fan for now, only new plastic one. I could still go back to the 76deg or even the 82deg thermostat if needed. but I want the temp to be in the low 90's but consistent.

Previously with my auxiliary cooler it would rise up to just under 100deg in traffic with electric fan running full time, then come down to about 85 on the open road. In my opinion this is too much of a spread. At least for now it seems very consistent at just over 90deg.

I also plumbed the heater return from the head through the intake manifold plenum and then into the top of the thermostat cover. 

So far , so good. Will post some more pics and update of the performance later.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Boyscout's post:
  • askalbert
When I was building my car I decided to re-core the rad because I had heard cooling is often an issue. I just went to Norbrake and asked them to put a 3 core. What I got was as described above. The first time a so called expert looked at the motor I was told its rubbish and you should have got an offset fin setup. With no wind in my sails I just carried on as money was becoming an issue. However I'm happy to report that its been perfect in all conditions. Normal driving 75-78, and max 85-90 in traffic mid summer or when stopping at an offramp after 120-130 on the highway. BTW putting your fan on the wrong way round makes the car run 10 deg hotter - don't ask how I know...
That looks like a four core there Dion ?
(07-27-2016, 09:28 AM)Sean1380 Wrote: That looks like a four core there Dion ?

It is similar, but is definitely a three core. it has greater water capacity than the old offset three core. Cooling is in a different league  Big Grin
Would it be worth trying to use a 1000cc bike radiator and electric fan on a mini.