Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HIF44
I managed to get hold a HIF44 carb. Will be fitting it soon. I already have a Minispares alloy manifold wich I am using with a HS4 carb. Took me some time to sort it out the HS4, fully overhauled it and it is actually running fine.

So I will be giving the HIF44 the same treatment. It is still in very good nick and doesn't need throttle spindle etc. Will be doing the Needle & Seat, and then a new main Needle.

From what I have been able to find on the Interwebs, the BDL needle is the right starting point. It is currently fitted with a BER which seems like it will be too lean. On the HS4 I had to go to a AAM Needle which was a rich needle. I even found a AAA to be a bit lean on the top end.

So I will start with the BDL and if too lean I will go with a BBW.

Would like to hear about anyone else who has fitted a HIF44. Is it easier to fit the carb to the manifold first? Or should I fit it to the manifold after it is already on the engine in the car? 

What needles have you guys found works best etc? Any other pitfalls to look out for?
how much did you pay for it as i have my old one with mani that i want to sell.... i found it easier for mount it to the mani before fitting. mine ran very well on my car. however when i redidi the motor my Machinc prefer HS4 to it..... so i changed.. ill pull mine apprt tonight and check which needle i was running with for you.
BDL seems to be a good all round needle but as you've mentioned you might find it a bit lean or rich at the top end as not all motors are built equal and what works for one might not work for the next, so start with the BDL and then take it from there.

Off topic now, Matty I'd be interested in your old HIF44 when you've come up with a price for it. Hopefully I can stretch the budget a bit for it.
DodgyFOR LITTLE OLD LADIES IT AIN'TTongue
1979 GTS
So I fitted the HIF44 last night. Didn't cut any corners so I bought a new needle (BDL) and new needle&seat. Set the float level properly as it was way out. new gaskets. New accelerator cable.

removed the manifold with the HS4, cleaned everything up, mounted HIF44 to the manifold and then put it on the engine. not a major job. Car started straight away after the electric fuel pump did its thing. After the car was on temp I adjusted the idling mixture and speed. It idles a lot better then the HS4. My guess is even though I replaced the spindle on the HS4 it may still have been leaking, could never get the car to idle consistently.

It is running beautifully, so far the BDL needle seems spot on. No flat spots throughout the rev range. Power is improved from HS4. Carb is slightly noisier though. I used the steel casing HS4 air cleaner. It has the same element as the HIF air cleaner. I will modify the casing some time as the intake pipe is too small to my liking and compared to thepPlastic HIF Filter casing. I have a K&N element in the std casing.
Good to hear that it worked out well for you mate.
1979 GTS
dude i had No idea whats its worth . haahah Boyscout what did you pay and did you get a mani with it ?
(09-09-2015, 01:59 PM)BRAAAP Wrote: dude i had No idea whats its worth . haahah Boyscout  what did you pay and did you get a mani with it ?

I had a manifold which I bought from Sportscar Centre. At the time it cost me around R650,00

A good friend gave me the carb as he no longer needed it. 

I remember Des wanted over R2k for a carb with manifold and filter. Which is why I never bought one then.

I think a good price for 2nd hand would be R1k for manifold and carb.
I'm still quite interested in this, so let me know what you decide on Matt.
1979 GTS
HIF44 rocks in my books.

Paid 5 quid for my one, over 15 years ago.

Still going well.
Bloody show-off, if only they were still that cheap. Always loved the autojumbles over in the UK, wish we could start something similar locally but most of us try to keep as many spares as possible due to having a hard time finding when needed.
1979 GTS