Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine starting issues
Hi Guys...like the thread subject states....I have been having some start up issues.

Car specs (standard 1100 big bore)

Refurbished HS4 carb fitted onto the car which was changed to an overhauled 40mm side draft in a hope that the carb was the issue.
New Electronic Ignition
New set of spark plugs, re-gapped as per Haynes Manual
New Dizzy Cap and Leads
New Coil.
car is timed correctly as per Haynes Manual.

What happens.....

From cold with the choke pulled out fully, the car starts on the turn of the key, once it is warmed up and I push the choke in the car idles fine and revs up fine.

once I switch off the ignition, and try to start the car again, it refuses to start (choke in or out). Swings as if there is no spark and not even a hint of any combustion taking place. On inspect I find that if I pull out the lead from the coil and hold it to ground while turning the engine over, there is a bright spark bring supplied by the coil, same happens with the leads to the spark plugs, even tried by removing the spark plugs and connecting the leads ....fire is present.

If I allow the car to rest for about 30Min I find that the car starts perfect.

My first thought was that the chambers are flooded and that could be due to the carb dumping fuel......so I changed to a side draft and still the same issue. Car refuses to start when hot. Note ( coil is still cool to warm) and supplied sufficient spark.

Could this be a timing issue?
More changes done to try and fine the problem....

I put the standard HS4 SU Carb back, and this is what happens... If I pour about a teaspoon of fuel into the carb intake the car starts and runs, Idles fine with a the idle screw about 1 full turn in.....after switching the car off, it will not start again, unless I pour a teaspoon of fuel into the carb. So my thinking is that the chock is not working correctly to feed the engine fuel on start up.
According to the book of Heynes

Air filter element dirty or clogged (Chapter 1).
 Choke mechanism incorrectly adjusted, worn or sticking -
carburettor models (Chapter 4A).
 Fuel injection system fault - fuel injected models (Chapter 4B).
 Worn or incorrectly adjusted contact breaker points (Chapter 5B).
 Uneven or low cylinder compressions (Chapter 2A).

You can rule out the air filter element since you changed the carb the same goes for the choke.
The car is not fuel injected.

That leaves the points gap or the low compressions.
Check those two and see how it goes.
Own some minis, break them, fix them, improve them, test them to the limit....
Hi Krishen, How did you manage to sort out this problem?
I seem to also have this problem as well as a friend of mine with his mini.