Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thumz MKIII 4AGE build
(06-27-2016, 10:45 AM)DomMINIque Wrote: So I may be a bit out of my depth here but one of the more experienced guys will come along and correct any errors I may have made.

1. Don't bother with rear disk brakes. Apparently getting the bias correct is a nightmare. If it isn't correct and you brake hard the rear ends up overtaking the front and you end up facing the wrong direction.

2. Toyota vs golf - in SA I think you are probably better off with the golf conversion from a cost perspective as I think the golf parts are cheaper compared to toyota.
The adapter plates are readily available from a guy in JHB and then you can simply get yourself the remaining parts as and when it suits you. (He does also sell the complete kit)
I have heard of someone using toyota tazz brake parts but more than that I am not sure.

I have no idea if the adapter plates for the tazz and golf conversion are the same but I wouldn't think so.

Thank you for the advice DomMINIque
Gregory
It is what you think you know already that prevents you from learning.
I am here to learn. Teach me.
Some concern in stripping the floor of its sound deadening and paint. I may be blonde here though will it be ok to use a wire brush and get down to bare metal then coat with an etch primer to prevent rust for the time being?
heat gun and a paint scrapper for the sound deadening
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sean1380's post:
  • Thumz
As Sean said - heat gun, scraper and some meths to clean it up. Can go to bare metal and coat in etch.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jared Mk3's post:
  • Thumz
(09-01-2016, 06:06 PM)Jared Mk3 Wrote: As Sean said - heat gun, scraper and some meths to clean it up. Can go to bare metal and coat in etch.

Thanks J and Sean!
I know its been a while and a few exams later, I have decided against doing the rust removal myself. Wynand from sandblasting boys will be receiving the mini within the course of the week to do a complete sandblast, rust repair and primer. can now focus on brakes and stripping that 16v twin-cam of mine, should acquire a gearbox over the course of December or so not so sure on the differences between the 4AGE and 4AGZE gearboxes, for now, will wait on the decision. Any advice on whether gearbox it will be a good idea to modify the gearbox, and make it straight cut? I have heard the whining can be pretty annoying but the power transfer makes up for that so just need a little more insight there. Pictures to follow of the sandblasting and finished product.
Hi All I'm revisiting my earlier question on the braking system wondering if anyone could assist? I've been window shopping for golf discs and calipers my first concern is the calipers and whether the clearance will be good enough in relation to the rim. Secondly I have heard that the system will need a brake booster that will assist in brakes not locking up the front wheels and easing the tension on the pedal itself what booster might I use for this? Thirdly what upgrades to the rear drums might I add to assist the braking poweR. Anyone else done a twincam conversion here and might have a thread I may follow?
I have also have a bullnose of the same color as your.
The previous owner painted it black because he did not like the burnt orange.
What year is your car???? 

I also had to do the same as what Sean and Jared said. I had to remove sound deadening to check underneath. You wont believe how much moisture gets trapped underneath it. I am not going to replace it, I am just simply leaving it off.  

At least your car had an engine. When I got mine it did not have one.
The car is supposed to go in for sandblasting today hopefully. I was told it's a 1973 model mk3, what can be done to prevent the moisture getting trapped under the sound deadening??? Because I'd obviously like to keep it rust free from now till a very long time from now. Minatic if you need an engine I have my old A-series up for sale lol
The only way in my opinion to prevent that is to close all the holes on the floor so that there is no way water can come from the bottom of the car.

What is your A-series motor 1000cc or 1100cc?? Is it running? At what price???