Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Seans 1978 1100DL
This is the 38 year old rack, check out the hole in it

[Image: DSC_3760_zpsr8xden1t.jpg]
That rack is rather crusty . . .
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
I need to replace my steering rack as well, and it will likely look very much the same......
I'm only here to LOL and +1
KAK job
So, now that i have the new steering rack installed.

AND i have those beautiful 1.5 ration roller rockers to install, i decided to put them in to.

and i decided to try sneakily do it without removing the head.

All went well, until it tried to turn the motor over after setting the tappet gaps.

Guess what, there was practically no gap on the springs, which mean with the HT camshaft and the 1.5 rockers, the springs were being compressed to much.

So, this meant i either remove the offending rockers or i get the correct springs.

Luckily for me, my good mate Malcolm had a set of the correct springs, which he gave to me, and i will simply replace them with my next Mini Spares order.

So, off came the head.

[Image: DSC_3973_zpsdyndsexb.jpg]

whilst it was off, i popped off the old springs with the idea of simply putting in new seals and putting on the new springs, that goodness as the old seals were shot.

Turns out though, so there is a little to much play on the exhaust guides for me as well, so i may as well rectify that at the same time.

[Image: DSC_3977_zps6ghmwqdo.jpg]
Slightly more concerning, is there is a small ridge at the top of the bore, over 50,000 kays of driving the nuts of the 1380 seems to have taken it toll.

Worse thing about a 1380, no extra space on the block for a re-bore :-(

Oh and the slightly worn exhaust guides means there is movement on the valve so i am guessing it aint sealing to well

[Image: IMG-20170129-WA0003_zpsms4xomay.jpg]
[Image: DSC_3979_zpseolhs5wz.jpg]

These were the very hard old seals
[Image: IMG-20170129-WA0003_zpsms4xomay.jpg]

And here you can JUST about see the hardened insert for the unleaded head
The new valve springs, thanks to Malcolm Stiles

[Image: DSC_3967_zpsrmneqein.jpg]
Ohh ohh oh.

i also got some new Red Dot Mini Spares Road Race do-nuts.

Which will go on with my last set of SCP/MSAA hi lows on the front of the Mini.

[Image: DSC_3944_zpsbqajz5ja.jpg]