Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Seans 1978 1100DL
Right, so lucky for me the MSE6 is already an unleaded head.

BUT as it was 2nd hand when i got it, i slapped it on in September 2015.

Well the exhaust guides were slightly worn, so i dropped the head off with Dez from Dez Minis in Johannesburg on a Friday afternoon just as they closed.

Now hows this, i get a call at 8.30 on the Saturday morning, Dez had cleaned the head, installed new guides, cut the seats and valves, installed new seals and put my springs back in.... all before 8.30.

Service !

BIG thanks to Dez and Nathan for the excellent work.
So whilst i had the head off, i decided to sort out those two missing bolts from the lower engine mount bracket.

Well guess what, they were not missing, they had snapped off, this is discovered when i tried to fit the new ones.

The only thing i can think that would have caused this was the 3km per day of dirt roads that used to be traveled daily when my big son, Brandon used the Mini for 6 month.

[Image: DSC_4008_zpsw0ln8lnt.jpg]

So out came the radiator and the offending bracket, which was fun getting out, as it was still sort of attached at the one end.

Little clean up, new bolts and it all went back together.

Took some time away from the cylinder head replacement process though LOL

[Image: DSC_4009_zpscjretkx0.jpg]
The "new" head from Dez

Oh and i forgot to mention, Dez also gave it a light skim !

[Image: IMG-20170204-WA0002_zps7jl2pom9.jpg]
So, hoping i get some time on Friday afternoon, to torque the head back down, refit the intake and exhaust manifolds AND the actual exhaust.

As its the Mini Dyno day at Mini Workshop in Pomona, Kempton Park.
What power you think your mini will make on the dyno Sean?
Have you sorted out the rocker cover issue or are you changing to a standard one?
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
Malcolm gave me a std metal GTS one, which i cleaned up and painted, was going to do it black, but i only had silver engine enamel ......

Glued the new gasket to it last night, should be good to fit today.
Power, wow i dont know, its not as potent as the 1293 was (55kW at the coast on the fast car Dyno) but it has a hell of a lot more torque
Pictures Wink
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
so there ya go, the 1380 DID make it to the Dyno, and i am well chuffed.

It was the most powerful naturally aspirated A series Mini of the day, 66 wheel horse power and 122nm of torque - of which the torque was at 2500 rpm !!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sean1380's post:
  • Vinay-RS