Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo Build
So I'm posting this so that the experts can tear it to shreds.. 

This is so that the expensive mistakes can try and be avoiding as much as possible.

So I'm planning a turbo build.

So far I've got the following parts:

Evo Water Pump
Metro Turbo Oil Pump
Unleaded valve seats
3.1 diff 

Parts still to come:

HT EVO Cam

Then this is where I need some direction. 

My plan is as follows:
1275 +20thou pistons (Hypatec)
1100 Crank
1100 rods
Std bottom end
3.1 diff. 

Based on the above I know about 5mm is supposed to come off the block.
However I want to see if I take a little less off and can then avoid the use of multiple head gaskets. 

Cylinder head:
Unleaded valve seats. 
Currently already has gts size valves in. 
Port/polish and flow. 

Minispares intake manifold
Hif turbo carb (not sure on needle either - from some of my turbominis research it seems most use the BDD needle.)
Garrett T2 - mounted over the clutch/bell housing. 
Locally made plenum (if I can figure out what some of the terminology means of the turbo mini forum)

My issue lies with dizzy. 
Is it possible to use a normal dizzy (converted to electronic) to run the turbo motor?

AFR gauge will also be a definite.

The plan is to run up to 1 bar max boost. 
I want something that pulls like a bit of a train but is reliable doesn't sit parked for months on end because everytime it does run it breaks.

I've roughly worked out compression on the motor as follows:

[Image: 32679038796_1bf5cb55c3_z.jpg]Turbo Motor Comp Ratio by Dominique Bernardino, on Flickr

The main thing bring the compression down is the mm below deck height. 
If I increase the mm below deck height to 3mm then the comp ratio drops to 7.8 which I may think might be a better option. 

A picture of the head to be used for reference, will be redone for obvious reasons.

[Image: 27735978041_da1976a089_c.jpg]20160521_145321 by Dominique Bernardino, on Flickr

Let me know what you guys think and what I've left out.
Maybe a good thing would be to look at flat top pistons Dom, machining 5mm off the deck might cost a bit and then the block might be useless after that perhaps. Just an Idea, know pistons won't be cheap.

http://www.swiftune.com/Product/1603/ome...t-top.aspx
As Quinton suggested, check for flat top pistons. Maybe MiniSport Australia have some. Those ones in the link above are for UK 1100, just to be sure.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
OK some points from a ballie that successfully turbo charged a 1600cc Daewoo motor to over 180kw @ 0.7 bar boost.

Pistons MUST come as close to the head as possible, to encourage quench - ESPECIALLY on a turbo motor, this will ensure cooler pistons and reduce the likelihood of detonation.

Make sure u use pistons that have oil holes and NOT slots behind the oil rings.

8.8 to one is a perfect turbo road compression ratio.

Get a turbo proof head gasket - Cometic are brilliant, but costly.

T2 is a good choice for the Mini - But there are better more modern equivalents, - Enzio knows more here.
And Uncle Dez, has his own machines, he can help with that super large skim of the block
OK - so this is what i mean by piston quench.

Standard Daewoo piston on the right (9.4 to one)

High compression Forged Wiseco on the left (11-1)

[Image: 106_0659.jpg]

and these are the deep dish forged turbo pistons (as you can see, they have the same compression height, but they get the compression ratio down by putting the CC's into the dish - these were 8.8 to one.

[Image: 11072007003.jpg]

[Image: 11072007004.jpg]
oh and my first attempt used std pistons, and a deck plate, which lead to lekker detonation, 4 destroyed pistons and a head gasket like this....

[Image: 27042008002.jpg]
so, who remembers Orlando Da Silva's turbo pickup ?

77kw at the wheels, on the SAC dyno, the same day my 1360 did 42 and my old 1399 did 41 and a std MG Metro did 55kw.

[Image: OBEnginecloseup.jpg]

[Image: OBEngineTurbo.jpg]
Orlandos pickup was a sweet little runner, I'm after an air filter like that for my GTS.
DodgyFOR LITTLE OLD LADIES IT AIN'TTongue
1979 GTS
Sean what's the reason behind getting the pistons flush with the deck of the block?
If you wouldn't mind explaining it to a noob.

I see Orlando was running a suck through set up. What was his reason behind doing the set up that way over the usual hif turbo, with plenum etc.?

Based on the above then I would be better off taking 5mm off the top of the block, going with the above pistons but getting them machined to put some extra cc's into the pistons to bring the comp ratio down?