Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fibre glass for non structural places
Photo 
Good morning Classic Mini family

Whats the take on using fiberglass to build up non structural places eg door skins.,roof, gutters. Fenders provided prep is done correctly. When say I fiberglass I mean using aluminum mesh for backing and pasting it with fibral filler. 
Would like to go this method due to financial constraints and no welding skills or equipment. 
Car has been sandblasted and primed. All floors and structural points will be mig welded. 

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

That shell looks to be in pretty bad shape... Andrew Shadwell (Anvil Fibreglass) in Cape Town, makes and sells fibreglass bonnets and bootlids. That's one option. You can get replacement doors, but that roof will probably need a new skin.

Given the condition of the shell, and the fact that it is not a particularly rare Mini (looks like a mid 70s Clubman shell), I'd avoid spending too much to put it right. The 1098 Clubman was the most sold Mini in SA. Over 10000 were sold locally in the 10 years they were made. You might be better off just finding a new shell.
Hi Vinay
Thanks for the input. Will check with Anvil Fibre glass.
As Vinay has said, I'd look at an alternative shell that isn't so far gone. That can be repaired with the right equipment and skills, but I wouldn't recommend fiberglass to repair that. I think it would end up causing you more trouble than its worth.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
Good morning

Thanks Jared.

Regards