Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally got something!
It really does look remarkably original. Replace that steering wheel, clean the engine bay and sort out the rusted seams and fix the front seats and it will be a beautiful example of a 1098 Clubman.
Nice little base to start with!

I'll have a look at my clubman number and see where it is in relation to yours as my clubman is a '71.
I like this car rather a lot Smile pity about those seats.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
(09-28-2017, 09:14 AM)ChristiaanV Wrote: Here's an album of pictures. I don't like uploading here, don't want to load the server with high resolution images.
https://imgur.com/a/u2uTj
If any of the shorts look fuzzy it's because I used a low ISO on the camera to let more light in and my arms were not that steady.

So in it's closeup glory you guys can see the rust along the seams, original badges, and how dirty the engine bay is.
Also there's a heater inside which I greatly appreciate for winter use.

(09-28-2017, 09:04 AM)jimmyjamjar Wrote: Hi!
I might have a bonnet somewhere behind my shed. If you're in CT we might be able to arrange something. I'lll take a look and see if I have one and what condition it's in.

I am, residing in Bergvliet.
At this point I'm not caring for the color of the bonnet, it just shouldn't slice a pedestrian in half when they run across the road in front of me, or cause gangrene when I pop the bonnet open (see https://i.imgur.com/2lMrcBP.jpg )
Morning !
I checked behind my shed and there is a bonnet there but sadly after 12 years it is rusted to bits only fit for throwing away, sorry if I got your hopes up.
I don't have my camera at work to upload images, but an update for you all:
-Got a loan bonnet, will probably get a fiberglass one made later.

-Found my brake problem; leaking slave cylinders on the left front. Managed to get parts at Midas and I hope I replaced the faulty one, I at least have a second one that doesn't fit I can go swap out.
Fitted the cylinder, applied pads and pushed the drum on... that was too much effort, take the drum off and clank! the shoe fell off the pad.    
Now I need to have them fixed. Heading off to CBS in Main Rd after work.

-Removed the manifold to exhaust clamp and that needs to be replaced (I'll check with Midas again), and I'll look for some mesh to wrap around the exhaust going into the muffler box. It's just a pipe loosely knocking about inside another larger pipe.

-cleaning the engine is a mission, and I'm seeing lots of small things to do.

-Some of the driveshaft rubbers need to be refitted, the previous mechanic used wire to try and clamp some down and they just slipped off.

I should probably put in the transfer of ownership before the weekend is over.
My work log in picture form!

Midas have boot kits for the Mini, complete with grease sachet and metal clamp for fixing.  cant figure out how to make he clamp work so i used cable ties instead as many of the forums  You-tube videos show the use of cable ties , just get the right size .
updates:
Did the paperwork two weekends ago, so that's sorted. In the meantime I've been getting a whole bunch of stuff done and very little of what I need to.

-The indicators are sorted (left indicator switch will need replacing in future. for now it works.)
-I had to fix the choke arm inside (picture)
-Found out I need to wire a button for the horn, no cables access the horn button on the steering wheel.
-Kind of fixed the exhaust but I'll take it to a pro maybe Friday, then roadworthy Saturday.
-While cleaning the front of the engine, it stopped making spark on the plugs. When I got that sorted I didn't hook it up correctly, and the 1-3-4-2 doesn't work for me. I'm wired to run 1-2-3-4 (or in that order) (proof)
-Cleaned out about a spoonful of red paste out of the float chamber, might have to get a new float needle in future as this one looked a little pitted, possibly still original.
-Got new air filter and spark plugs (broke one of them on Saturday night trying to start the car, but they were due for a swap anyway)
-Removed the radiator last night. I need a longer screwdriver and lots of degreaser.
-Need to get a complete set of slave brake cylinders. Getting for the rear drums has been a mission, but payday was yesterday so a shopping spree is coming up

I got a pan to capture all the trash I would have dropped to the floor (a small hot water geyser drip tray from Builders) the plastic is really easy to clean oil off, I'd almost recommend anyone fixing their mini at home to get this solution. I'm just looking for a better way to plug the hole than my makeshift 'screw cap from a bad bladder out of an old camel pack' I did.

So much cleaning to do! I got a small steam cleaner, but it's really not doing the job fast enough for my liking, think I'll use boiling water and a toothbrush for the first grime wipe around the radiator and fan belt. Everything is sliding under the fan belt from being coated in grime.

But I do like progress.

Glad to see that you're making progress on the Mini and getting all the small jobs tackled.

A small recommendation would be to use the BB code in the Imgur share option so that the photos appear as pictures in your thread.
nice progress so far bud. might have a set of 8.4 inch gts brake set up going on sale soon.
Right, everything between the radiator and engine is coated in grime and oil, because the oil seal is leaking and the fan belt is throwing oil everywhere.
So... I'm trying to convince myself when I need to replace it, since if I'm going to do that I might as well hoist the engine out and do a full job on it, and get the mini treated and painted at the same time.

My thoughts were to leave that for December but I guess there's nothing wrong with doing all that now.
But that means I need a way to lift the engine out (and my dad had just over a month ago cut up his tripod system made exactly for this kind of job. We've been lugging it around for the past 15 years and barely used it for lifting heavy things and right when I want to use it, it's not there anymore.)

I'm more afraid of pulling the mini apart to do big jobs on it, and then end up not having a drive-able car for a year because it's taking me so long to make it perfect again. I like to imagine pulling the engine out, cleaning the oil and grease off and leaving it with a paint job will take me a month of work after hours, but my track record just for getting brake slaves is a month and ongoing.

I don't want  to take on more fixes this year, but I know if I don't it's gotta happen in the near future.

edit: Having had time to think about this clearly, I'm not going to lift the engine soon. I'll just make it run for now, then order all the parts I will need and do everything in one go in couple months time. Sure it's just about back to square one but I'll be ready for it with better tools and parts.