Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 1975 Clubman with an 11 stud 1275 gts motor
Good evening fellow mini lovers.

I acquired my 1975 Clubman on the 23rd of July 2018, as always the car was advertised saying 90% of it is there and "just needs to be put back together". Well , spoiler alert it wasn't. Went to go and look at the car a few times, heard the engine run, checked the usual place for rust spots to usually accumulate, and surprisingly it seemed like i found a mini with almost zero rust on it ( the only spot that there is a bit of rust/pitting is next to the battery box). However, the radiator was shot, the wiring harness had been cut out of the car, no alternator or battery and a fairly important one too.. no brakes.

There are positives though.. the car had been given a heart transplant in the means of a 1275 Gts 11 stud head motor, fairly decent paint job, new interior and as i mentioned almost zero rust. 

So after a bit of money gathering and speaking to my elders, at the tender age of 19 years old i obtained my 1st classic car that i can work on(which has been a dream for the last few years of my petrol headedness life) and own.

Here are a few pictures of what the car looked like when i went to go and look at it. 
[Image: attachment.php?aid=2320]    
[Image: attachment.php?aid=2321]    

After we picked it up i decided to take it outside and give it a good clean, it looked quite a bit better than before. 
[Image: attachment.php?aid=2322]    
[Image: attachment.php?aid=2323]    

So it obviously has quite a bit of potential, another thing i noticed about the mini is that mine is one of the few leyland minis that still has all the plates from the factory. A nice surprise. 

Since shes been in my possession, i have completely re-wired the car from front to back, and being my 1st car that i have ever worked on doing a wiring harness is no easy task, that i can tell you right now. However with the help of a few downloadable original manuals with wiring diagrams and updated colour coded diagrams, alot of cursing, learning and coffee i have successfully re wired the clubby.
Im still so surprised how i did not burn our house or our barn down because myself and fire have an extremely good relationship as any young boy and fire does. haha. 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2324]    
What the harness looked like when i started the re wiring. 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2325]    
[Image: attachment.php?aid=2326]    
A little bit of progress 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2327]    
And he said "Let there be light".. this was a huge breakthrough moment for me lol.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2328]    
and you cant not have a mini without the hellas, a few different ideas that i played around with before choosing one, ended up choosing this one        
( watch out hilux's with your big F-off LED bars )

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2329]    
I decided that mounting the hella spots on the grille was not a good idea so i ended up making my own brackets that slide under the grille and work like a charm.

So i know that there are quite a few lights on my mini but i thought that i can always take them off if i need to so that is pretty good.

Thats pretty much it for now guys thanks for giving this a read, more work will be happening soon and will definitely keep everyone updated on the progress of the Confused Clubman. 

Keep on sending those Minis.

( starting the thread with the same photos and information i used for my 1st post to introduce myself to the page )

I decided that my engine bay was looking a bit scruffy too so i did a bit of a clean up.

before 

after

i also noticed that mounting the spot lights (Hellas) on the grille was not the most intelligent i have ever done in my life ( definitely not the 1st lol ) so i decided, instead of paying some stupid price for a bracket on mini sport. I just made my own and here is how they turned out to be. 

Much better than dealing with import tax and stress of your parcel being stolen. If you cant buy it ( or to expensive ) you make it !
Welcome!

Nice job man.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DomMINIque's post:
  • The_confused_clubman_25
(11-22-2018, 09:42 AM)DomMINIque Wrote: Welcome!

Nice job man.

Thank you so much, enjoying every bit of time that i am spending on the car
You're brave taking on a rewiring job.

In case it helps, Wurth makes a nice cloth tape that you can wrap the wires in. It makes it all look nice and neat.
[-] The following 1 user Likes abri's post:
  • The_confused_clubman_25
Its been a while since I have had proper time to work on the mini (studying Mechanical Engineering is not the easiest thing in the world) and update you guys on the progress. Since the last post I have completely finished the wiring harness and everything is working, the 3 core supercool radiator is in and plumbed. I also recently acquired a set of sa custom rims for the mini, very very jdm looking so I'm happy about that. The drum brakes have also been refurbished so its definitely coming together slowly but surely.
(sorry for the quality of these photos the size limit is a real struggle)

[-] The following 2 users Like The_confused_clubman_25's post:
  • Heinrich, Vinay-RS