Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My New 850 MK1
Hey guys and Gals

I have been on the search for a mini for some months / years and loose track of what I have seen etc... BUT over the weekend became a mini owners and would like to scratch you guys for parts and advice over the next few months

Now sure yet on the year But I got myself a Mk1 850cc it has most of its chrome bits and 2 door cards, interior is not bad at all to start

1st question the engine needs to be rebuild and I was wondering if putting a 1275cc is a straight swop out and would anyone suggest this or not...
Reason for the 1275 idea is they are far more available and thus parts and repairs will be easier to do as well. or is the original 850 engine viable for modern suburb traffic? 

Attached Files Image(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes TheMod's post:
  • Vinay-RS
Definitely following this build. Keen to see what you have planned for it. It's always nice to see a Mini get restored.
You'd be able to fit the 1275, but the gear selector would be different. Unless, you rebuild the diff housing to accept the earlier style gear selector. Another option might the 998 engine, especially if it's just suburban traffic. Choice is ultimately yours, but Mk1 cars are getting harder to find - so keep that in mind for future value if you ever sell.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jared Mk3's post:
  • Heinrich
Some updates guys

the vehicle is now at my painter we have decided the paint already on the car is solid so wont take back to bare metal but rather flat and use this as the base.

the floors and doors are incredibly solid with almost no rust except a few spots of surface.

Mini Identification.... I am a little unsure about this as it has bits from across a few mini ranges, I have been told that it may be a South African Cross over with MK2 tail lights the mustache and grill to match, also has a Australian type doors.

I have found a South African 1100 motor that is currently being rebuilt as a 1275 with a 40 over pistons. I will keep the 850cc on the shelf for the day I want to go back to original with this car. I have rebuilt the sub frames with new bushings and had Dez do my steering rack and convert my head to unleaded.

its starting to come together now
Some photos of the vehicle open and waiting for prep work

Attached Files Image(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes TheMod's post:
  • Vinay-RS
It's great to see that the shell survived so well. What are the plans for the colour of the car? something a bit more classic? Any plans to fit mk1 taillights back to it? I quite like mk2 lights actually.
colour we are still deciding on it but yes will 100% go back to a classic colour we thinking either Almond green or Clipper blue, also having the engine painted in the green like a MK1

as for the tail lights I am going to leave them as MK2.

I am very lucky with the body being so straight and basically rust free.
Body looks nice and clean Smile Do you know the year model? Could be a '67 from the sounds of things, in terms of Mk1 grille, Aussie doors and Mk2 tail lights. Keep us updated with progress.
                                                                            Mk3 Full Build Thread
                                                                    [Image: XLqVNZw.jpg?1]
(02-24-2020, 09:52 PM)Jared Mk3 Wrote: Body looks nice and clean Smile Do you know the year model? Could be a '67 from the sounds of things, in terms of Mk1 grille, Aussie doors and Mk2 tail lights. Keep us updated with progress.

So the wiper motor, door handle and boot handles all marked 9 63, But I cant tell honestly

Can you guys confirm what badges should be on this car bonnet and boot
Okay so some weeks or toying with what I will be doing with the vehicle

We have decided it is a South African Cross over so yes about 1967 the motor that came with the car is an 850cc and was in a bad way so i bought a 1100 bigbore, the new motor needed a rebuild so decided to build a 1275cc the mechanic that is helping me also had a GTS cam and crank so have made her a little hotter than a std 1275 I have also found a set of twin SU GTS carbs so teh plan is now to make this into a South African MK2 (Cross over) Cooper S Replica, I have the motor now built to look as such and I think will perform as such as well, the body needs very little to make look like a Cooper S I prefer the look of the scrips of the Austin Badges so have decided to brand as an Austin Cooper S. I have had the sumbframes rebuilt again as I was not happy with the rubber bushes and have replaced with Poly Bushes and replaced the cones with a set of Hi Los.

I have had the paint mixed and chosen a DARK British racing green (almost a GT Green) and old english white for roof and bonnet stripes, Interior vinyl I am still deciding BUT its a very close decision between a Black (cooper S standard) or a very dark green to match body colour

Maybe someone on the chat can assist me I am now looking for some items

1. the bonnet and Boot S Badge
2. door check straps and hardware
3. bonnet check strap
4. dash centre backing board

Maybe someone can assist me with these items please

Photos will follow soon