Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minitim's 1972 Clubman Estate
Got to some small things in the last while. I cannot fathom why people don't just fix things properly the first time.
The wipers are the case in point. Somehow it was better for them to fix the blades to the arm using Prattley steel than to ensure all fits snug and are properly located with the arm locking pins. Not sure if they were scared of loosing the wipers at high speed and thus opted to glue them on. 

[Image: 20161017_191224_zps9mbr3shg.jpg]
[Image: 20161017_191306_zpsweimliq7.jpg]
A quick cleanup and all is good again.

Replaced the fuel cap with a nice new shiny one. (note to self....give the car a polish Big Grin )

[Image: 20161017_191143_zpskzjlwm5q.jpg]
I didn't think the estates could even get to "high" speeds Tongue That said, perhaps the wiper blades broke at the locking pin and so they used pratley putty to glue them on?
Took the Estate for a short drive to check the brakes and have the wheels pumped at the garage. Need to bleed the brakes some more and must test out my "new" DIY pressure bleeder. Used a garden pressure sprayer with some piping and sacrificed a master cylinder cap. Will test it out tonight and report back if it works.
Good luck with the DIY pressure bleeding kit. I also used the garden pressure spray and I must say it works well, just make sure all the joints have claps or the possibility of getting brake fluid every where is great, also if you can...add a bleed off valve to the line that goes from the spray nozzle to the cap, as you will find that a lot of air get into the system when you open the spray valve to pressurise the brake system.

Another trick I am currently using is to reverse bleed the system using an old windscreen washer pump. Pump fluid through the bleeding nipple at the rear left wheel while opening the other nipples one at a time, so that all the air is removed from the system. This uses much less fluid and the pump can be submersed in the fluid so no air gets into the system.
Thanks for the input. Lets see how things go after work.

[Image: image_zpsrohjwzxv.jpg]

PS...How many people know that the plastic master cylinder caps on the old tin units are actually made of 2 pieces?

I made this setup a year or 2 ago and hooked it up to my compressor. Worked like a charm, only thing is it's not nearby for me to use at the moment.

[Image: 20150523_180133_zpsixqlt3jx.jpg]
The bleeding of the brakes went well. The DIY contraption did it's job
[Image: WhatsApp%20Image%202016-10-24%20at%2018....jg3ab.jpeg]

It does however seem that the seals are shot on the rear slaves and will probably strip the master cylinder for good measure, and one has to pump  the pedal for pressure. Another job for the week-end I guess.
(10-28-2016, 08:01 AM)minitim Wrote: It does however seem that the seals are shot on the rear slaves and will probably strip the master cylinder for good measure, and one has to pump  the pedal for pressure. Another job for the week-end I guess.

Would it not be cheaper to replace the slave cylinders instead of rebuilding them?
So the last while has been fairly productive with the little stuff:
- New 19mm rear slaves installed
- New Mintex rear shoes
- New seals in brake master cylinder
- New Gunson Eezibleed kit to bleed the brakes
- Red Oxide Prime and paint some engine bay goodies

[Image: 20161101_182251_zpsffrcu3r9.jpg]
[Image: 20161108_103121_zpsb0bsfrfy.jpg]
[Image: 20161108_103112_zps4dylez9b.jpg]
Slowly taking shape and will be good for a another 44 years soon
Air filter box looks like new! Nicely done! The estate is going to look like a new car when you are done.
Thanks Vinay. Need to watch myself. Small bills when added up become a huge bill in the long run!