Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTS in OZ
reminds me of trip i took in 1998, i drove around Ireland, both North and South for 2 weeks, in a South African built GTS !!!!
That sounds like a lot of fun Sean.

I love a good "Mini Holiday" especially when mixed with friendships old and new. Here is a photo of my 92 Rover Cooper in Scotland:

Phil, thanks for the update on the UK car. I will post the details and your reply onto the "GTS variations" thread so others can appreciate the car in years to come.
Look what the cat dragged in, cat's name is Isuzu.....

A little info here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cptminic...8388375048

That car looks very similar to a friend's car that he has recently sold.

I had to look twice to make sure it wasn't actually a South Africa photo.

Another addition to your collection?
Essentially yes, I may be offline for a few days bu thought I would post.
A few more pictures, dragged the non-runner up the drive (yellow) to take these.

The green car is the original subject car of the thread, previously owned by Marthinus in Cape Town, a 1977 model.

The yellow 1976 car was owned by Steve Young of the Queensland Mini Car Club around thirty years ago when I was a member, I remember him telling me of the car he had at home which he was proud of ("it has some rust") however never saw the car in person.

After his passing around five years ago it was sold by his widow Kay to a man at the Gold Coast, south of here in Brisbane. I was aware of the sale but not to where it had gone. Thursday before last I was carrying some passengers in a bus for an excursion to the Gold Coast and dropped in on Mark and Anita at the Classic Car Clinic in my break. I was surprised Mark knew what a GTS was, he explained he had purchased a Cooper S from a local man with one. My first question was "Is it rusty?" Apparently it had been offered for sale, but the only interest shown by some low life known to remove vehicles illegally so withdrawn.

Saturday I was back at the coast for a visit with family, and took the trailer "just in case". We agreed on a price, and Sunday I returned on my way home to collect the car. It is fairly original, seats are hard and the rust is not extensive, the worst on the bonnet where the soundproofing must have held moisture. Early on the car had a Tectyl rustproofing treatment, and it must have worked, I can't complain about a bit of rust at the bottom of the passenger door. Last registration label expired on the 8th month 1987, so just on ten years use from new. Perhaps one repaint, or two coats from factory as the top powdery coat is peeling off the lower painted surface. I think the windscreen sticker was from a Sydney challenge series.

Colour is a murky pale yellow similar to Camino Gold. Head and carbs were removed, most likely to get the Cooper S going in years past (also from Steve Young) however a replacement head came with the car. I will need to sort some carbs. Bore wear does not look too bad. Wheels had been sold to another local a few years ago, were the original 12" steel with 60 deg taper nuts and plastic covers. I have put some Rover wheels on to get it rolling (no brakes, calipers removed). Engine turns over, clutch frozen solid. Has had a tap in rear as boot closure isn't quite right. R/H tank Cooper S (or Oz GT) type, fitted after factory. Steering wheel rim toasted - must have been a leather look vinyl.

I have no idea how many of these are in Australia, apart from the recent import in Canberra for sale the word seems to be there may be four or five others. Marthinus' car will be first off the rank, my main thought with Steve's is to preserve it for the moment. Resources are a little limited with the current job, and the house is also receiving attention so progress will be as able.

[-] The following 2 users Like askalbert's post:
  • Grimz, Vinay-RS
That GTS has a lot of history and still has a lot of the original features. A sympathetic restoration would be great and you'll be able to preserve a lot of the patina. Congrats on the purchase Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinay-RS's post:
  • askalbert
Very nice Albert.

Soon you're going to be the GTS king in the land of OZ
Thanks, Dom. Hmmm... has a nice ring to it, but doesn't quite sit right as a year ago, they weren't really on the radar and now to have two seems a little surreal. Have appreciated the input from members here to enable me to realise what I had, and which also added impetus to secure the second when it came up suddenly. Very glad it wasn't the collander of rust I thought it was. Also glad of the contact with Marthinus who owned the green car in SA, and his enthusiasm for the vehicle.

Vinay, that is my thought towards the yellow car as well. Keep as much as possible of the original, and bring the rest up to speed. It is likely to end up the more original of the two.

I have had a reply back from Ryno Verster re the first 77 car, he has on record a car with a car number around ten greater than mine, and engine number around twenty greater. He let me know the wiper motor was stamped "week of year" - "year" when the ones I was more familiar with have been stamped "month" - "year", confirming my car to be an early 1977 vehicle. I have passed on the numbers for the second car as well. (Can be viewed on my profile page, for those who have the anorak gene and like to compare.)

Keep Mini-ing on.
Well I had a win over the recent school holidays. At the school I drive buses at, one member of staff was returning home to visit family and Kruger National Park. Marthinus the prior owner of my car kindly offered me his copy of "A South African Mini Story" which was able to be posted in time for my local friend to bring it back with her - which I was able to replace due to Ryno's daughter having some copies with her in Cape Town. Very grateful to all of the above.

So having a slow read through, and appreciating the work that went in putting the book together. It will be most valuable in placing the history of vehicle production in South Africa in context.

Due to Abri's post on his 850 Mini, have been adding to my Clive Trickey reference material with some other books sourced locally and elsewhere. Plenty to read now.

A short video my sister took when moving the vehicles to take the above photos:

https://youtu.be/3S2GJ2vU1js